Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stops during playback

Thanks

Angry

Sign in to disable this ad
    my cakewalk6 express stops during playback, I hit play and it will start playing agin but a few sec later it will stop agin. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks

Wink

You didn't say what operating system you are using. I had the same problem with CW6 and it turned out to be CW6 does not work in Windows98. I had to upgrade to CW8. If you are using Windows95 and having this problem, I might suggest you go to Cakewalk's site. They have an excellent FAQ section there. I've been working with CW for 3 years now and have only had to call tech support twice. I've been able to find the answers to most of the problems I run across in the FAQ section. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Lightbulb

I'm using Win98 but I have been using it for a while and I'm just now having this problem I must have changed something. Well I will soon be getting CW9 so that should solve the problem i hope. Thank for the help

Thanks

Wink

I had a similar problem using Cakewalk (I believe 7) and a SB Awe 64 card. Alhough it's not the best solution, I was able to get Cakewalk to work flawlessly with digital audio by disabling most of the MIDI features on my sound card.

Thanks

Wink

It's called "dropout", at least Cakewalk 9 explains you what just happened, where Cakewalk 6 just stop playing. It's simply because it couldn't receive all the audio data in time, or the cpu was too busy and Cakewalk could go on.

Thanks

Lightbulb

how often do you defragment your hard drive? i'm assuming that you compact your audio after you do any substantial audio processing. normally, i compact the audio after any session wherein i've done any processing, and i defrag my disk once a week (well i forget alot, but i do it on sunday nights).

in addition, i keep my executables and my audio on separate drives. my cakewalk, wavecenter, and redroaster software is on the C drive, and the audio is on my SCSI drive.

sean IzReal wright http://www.crosstudio.net
    recording@crosstudio.net

Thanks

Lightbulb

how often do you defragment your hard drive? i'm assuming that you compact your audio after you do any substantial audio processing. normally, i compact the audio after any session wherein i've done any processing, and i defrag my disk once a week (well i forget alot, but i do it on sunday nights).

in addition, i keep my executables and my audio on separate drives. my cakewalk, wavecenter, and redroaster software is on the C drive, and the audio is on my SCSI drive.

sean IzReal wright http://www.crosstudio.net
    recording@crosstudio.net

Thanks

Wink

Cakewalk 9 gobbles up memory like there is no tomorrow. I never experienced this problem with Cakewalk 8. All things considered I find Version 9 to be superior to 8. The unfortunate trade-off for the improvement is the fact that it eats memory. I have upgraded my system to 256MB of SDRAM and I continue to experience Dropout with as few as six audio tracks despite the recommended corrective actions (i.e., defragment drive, minimize TSR programs, optimal global settings etc.) Santa Claus brought me an additional 128MB which I am glad to report has helped the cause.

Thanks

Question

What's the improvement if you're getting dropouts when playing 6 tracks? With 384MB
    how far can you push it before getting dropouts? And what CPU are these MBs hooked up to?

Thanks

Wink

gee, I'm getting 8 tracks with an eq on each channel in CW8 with a lowly P166 and 64 megs!
    How fast is your SCSI drive?

Thread Information