Sound Problems with Sonar 3.0

VOICES

I have a P4, WinXP, 1 Gig Ram, MAudio Studio I/O and Delta 66 Package, MAudio Radium 61-Key Controller and 2 Fostex PM0.5 Speakers. My software is Sonar 3.0.

Having problem with sound. I started at the beginning, tutorial1.cwt. I didn't have any sound, then I fiddled with some settings (checking Media Player (I got sound there but still no sound in Cakewalk), the output settings and a bunch of other settings...I kept pushing buttons) finally I got the tutorial to make sound. I went to Help, then tutorial 2, but had some questions about tutorial 1, so I went back to it and now no sound again.

Also, when I HAD sound, I tried my keyboard. The sound was very low (even with volume settings max'd) or no sound at all.

Please any suggestions.

Have you tried recording anything?

Are these audio or midi clips you're trying to play?

Have you setup your delta/omni studio properly?

Try opening a blank project and dragging an audio clip into it.If this does'nt sound it tells you most likely it's a routing problem.

acidrock said:
Have you tried recording anything?
Yes. I could see the notes but no sound.

acidrock said:
Are these audio or midi clips you're trying to play?
It's a midi controller, so I guess a midi clip.

acidrock said:
Have you setup your delta/omni studio properly?
I think so.

acidrock said:
Try opening a blank project and dragging an audio clip into it.If this does'nt sound it tells you most likely it's a routing problem.
You lost me. Dragging an audio clip from where?

I got sound after I re-booted last night. But have not been able to to get sound all day today. And even when I had sound my controller keys were very weak in sound. Any help with the controller sound problem would also be appreciated.

I'm usually pretty good with computers but setting up this homerecording studio is baffling me.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

As acidrock said, it's most likely a routing problem, ie. something is either getting lost in your audio chain, or your midi chain is not set up correctly.

Can you please detail -

- What audio cables are going from what to where?
- What midi cables are going from what to where?
- What does the software routing for the Delta card look like?
- What is configured in Sonar under OPTIONS-MIDI?
- On the midi track in Sonar, what is the Input, Ouput and Channel set to?

The other thing acidrock suggested was to open a new clip, and then go file-import to bring an existing midi file from your hard drive into the project. That would test to see whether is was a recording + playback problem, or just a playback/routing problem. Try it out and let us know what happens.

Ciao,

:) Q.

Qwerty said:
As acidrock said, it's most likely a routing problem, ie. something is either getting lost in your audio chain, or your midi chain is not set up correctly.Q.
I'm sure something is set up wrong because I do not think it should be this difficult. I'm hoping to be able to figure this out on line with everyone's assistance.

Qwerty said:
Can you please detail -Q.
I will try my best I don't think I have answers for all of these questions....

Qwerty said:
- What audio cables are going from what to where?Q.
Audio cables? Do you mean the speaker cables coming out of the back of the Omni I/O?
Qwerty said:
- What midi cables are going from what to where?Q.
Midi cables? I have a computer cable coming out of the back of the Omni I/O connecting to the soundcard in back of the computer. I have a USB cable running from the Controller keyboard to the back of the computer too.
Qwerty said:
- What does the software routing for the Delta card look like?Q.
I don't know what you mean...
Qwerty said:
- What is configured in Sonar under OPTIONS-MIDI?Q.
Inputs - In USB Keystation....Outputs - SoundMAX Wavetable Synth (Other Outputs not selected are Microsoft MIDI Mapper and Out USB Keystation)
Qwerty said:
- On the midi track in Sonar, what is the Input, Ouput and Channel set to?Q.
Input-Keystation Output-SoundMax Channel-Channel 1 General MIDI

Qwerty said:
The other thing acidrock suggested was to open a new clip, and then go file-import to bring an existing midi file from your hard drive into the project. That would test to see whether is was a recording + playback problem, or just a playback/routing problem. Try it out and let us know what happens.Q.
I have hit File-Open-Sample COntent-MIDI Groove Clips-Scales-A Minor Pentatonic 1 (Is this what you mean by opening a new clip?) Anyway...I pressed play and no sound.

You can drag an MP3 or .WAV file right from your desktop into your track view and it should play.

Midi on the other hand is only a series of instructions and will not sound unless these instructions are routed to a source that can carry out these commands,such as a softsynth,sound card with midi capabilities etc..

Your Delta panel is the software that runs the soundcard,a very important part of your whole scheme as everything will go through it.This software is seperate and independant of any Cakewalk software.

You don't know what the sound card routing for the delta card is?

You probably have a little icon in the taskbar, black with an M in it. Click on this. Here you decide what goes where to the soundcard inputs and outputs.

I have a lot of problems with this. I don't think M-Audio has made it very clear. Would have preferred something that looked like draging cables from inputs to an outputs. But after some experimenting I usually get some sound. In the lefmost column I use the monitor mix. That works for most things. Also check in the mixer part of this program if you have signals. Some could be muted, for instance.

Do you have a softsynth inserted into a track being recorded?
If you have no synth selected, you'll get no sound.

I thank everyone for their responses. Even though most of what you suggested was over my head. I'm still very new to this (software & recording in general).

I hired someone to come to my house to give me a Sonar 101 lesson. It helped out a lot but still a lot of unknowns.

First I was running the sound through the card on the board by mistake. I wasn't aware I had a card since this computer was custom made for me to exclusively run my music.

So now I have some sound. I say "some" because I can hear some files and not others. I can play sound through my controller, record and playback.

But I'm trying to start with the tutorials. Tutorial 1, 4, & 8 have no sound when I push PLAY. Tutorial 5 has sound. I noticed 1, 4, & 8 are midi tracks while 5 is an audio track. Shouldn't I be able to hear both on my computer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Okay my tutor finally returned my call.

To get sound from my MIDI track I needed to:
1) Open my tutorial1.cwp.
2) Press the DX button. This opens the selection of synths. I chose Edirol.
3) Open each track and set the output to the Edirol Synth.
4) Press Play.

Thank you everyone for their input!

Thats what I meant when I asked if you had a synth selected.
I always hate it when I miss something obvious like that, but I'm still learning Sonar too.
Glad it was easy for you.
Now if I could get my mp3 mixes to upload, I'd be stoked.
Peace.

Back