Sound Blaster Extigy external card and Cakewalk

garcik

Got a question for everyone. I'm trying to record analog signals from my mixer (Bheringer), through SoundBlaster Extigy (converts the signal from analog to digital), then through USB to Cakewalk. I get a lot of dropouts from the signal, audio streaming sometimes gets out of sync, computer locks up temporarily, etc while trying to record in Cakewalk. This is strange since I use the same hardware setup to record in Sound Forge and I have yet to experience any problems what-so-ever.

In order to monitor the playback while recording, I route the signal through the headphone jacks and then to my mixer. The signal is NOT looped back through the mixer and to the computer again. Also, the external soundcard is used to produce the playback sounds (ALI soundcard with a Toshiba Satellite notebook computer), the playback sounds are NOT routed back throught the SoundBlaster card (at least not that I can tell).

Any ideas why Cakewalk is having a problem with recording using the hardware set up described above? Any recommendations on external hardware that I can use with Cakewalk in order to record various tracks simultaneously (or even just one track at a time without Cakewalk having a fit)? Any suggestions would be very useful. Finally, sometimes recording through Cakewalk DOES work but usually not for very long and only when first opened. Seems as though the data starts to build up and then the problems start to appear.

You can rule out processing power...I've got more than enough processing power and RAM to do the job (can't remember the figures right now). I don't think the USB cable is the problem since it works fine recording in Sound Forge (although there could be a specific problem with Cakewalk and USB?)

Thanks for thinking about the problem with me!

Kevin

You can email me at garcik1@yahoo.com or just reply to this message.

The Extigy is crap. Creative couldn't write decent drivers to save their own lives. USB is a bad choice for audio as well. I have gone through 2 USB soundcards in the last year and still have dropout problems.

Get something like the Echo Indigo IO PC-Card interface or the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile if your laptop has a Firewire port.

garcik said:
In order to monitor the playback while recording, I route the signal through the headphone jacks and then to my mixer. The signal is NOT looped back through the mixer and to the computer again. Also, the external soundcard is used to produce the playback sounds (ALI soundcard with a Toshiba Satellite notebook computer), the playback sounds are NOT routed back throught the SoundBlaster card (at least not that I can tell).

The problem might very well be that you are using two sound cards. I had multiple problems when trying to do what you were doing because I couldn't a) sync the cards, b) was using two cards with different latency.

First thing I would do would be to route the signal back through the SB, not through the laptop internal sound card... in Sonar, make sure that (this is from memory), under options Audio (or is it global), make sure that none of the outputs for the laptop sound card are selected.

Last but not least.. depending on how many tracks you have playing back, it's possible that the HDD in the laptop isn't fast enough for the audio.. The standard laptop HDD is about 5000rpm, might even be 4800rpm.. the desktop hdd's are usually 7200rpm upwards, and usually with a quicker seek time.

Just a few thoughts,

Porter

I know about being on a budget and trying to get by with what you've got...been there. Seriously consider getting rid of the Extingy. I tried it...hated it...couldn't get support for it then replaced it. If I had to keep it, I might use it as a playback device but that's about it.

Sorry I don't have advice which would make you feel better.

I agree with most of the responses....The USB sound card you are using is a lot of crap for studio use.... I used this soundcard in one setup and told the owner to take it back...I think you could try to balance your virtual memory settings.. Take it out of automatic mode and match the min. and the max values... (make them about half your total ram.... I think the problem comes with ram getting tied up in limbo, making a powerhouse CPU Freeze on a little work.... But, remember I did say this sound card is a bunch of crap for studio use...

FYI...try getting a USB M audio soundcard...Though I dont really like usb soundcards..also download a software called RAM BOOSTER...it can free up ram with one mouse click and also (more importantly) reboot your CPU only running windows... hope this helps...

Another tip from

Killa the great...

8-16 inputs for Cakewalk or E-Logic

Porter said:
The problem might very well be that you are using two sound cards. I had multiple problems when trying to do what you were doing because I couldn't a) sync the cards, b) was using two cards with different latency.

First thing I would do would be to route the signal back through the SB, not through the laptop internal sound card... in Sonar, make sure that (this is from memory), under options Audio (or is it global), make sure that none of the outputs for the laptop sound card are selected.

First and foremost, thanks a lot for all of your ideas and thoughts. They have definitely helped me try to think about this problem in a different way. Mainly...throw my soundcard away and get a more dependable one! :eek: Anyway, I forgot to mention that I tried sending the signal (in and out) solely through the SB card. Problems were even worse when I did this. I did not try working on the latency issue or any other parameters so perhaps I could have gotten the card to work a little better after tweaking some numbers. However, sounds like it might not be worth my time since SB does not seem to be in high favor for this type of work.

Quick question...when I looked up M-audio equipment on Musician's Friend, it looked like there were only one or two inputs. I'm looking for a machine that will accept upwards of 8-16 (at least 8 XLR inputs) analog inputs and then pass them on in their respective channels (in digital form) to Cakewalk or E-Logic Auido. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Garcik

Last edited:
Are you committed to the laptop or USB approach? Bang for buck really increases when you move to a desktop PC.

love portability

punkin said:
Are you committed to the laptop or USB approach? Bang for buck really increases when you move to a desktop PC.

Well....I guess I am not completely committed to laptops (definitely not to USB). I just love being able to pack up my recording equipment and take it to gigs, a friends house, etc. I'm sure you can appreciate that. However, I didn't think I would run into so many problems taking the laptop approach (and quite honestly, I had no problems recording until I tried playing back and recording at the same time with Cakewalk and E-Logic). I was hoping to resolve the issues with my laptop but am seriously considering the desktop approach (complete with new furniture!).

Even with a desktop, I will need to record up to 8 or more channels at once onto the computer. Is there hardware that connects to the desktop that can record this many channels at once?

garcik said:
Even with a desktop, I will need to record up to 8 or more channels at once onto the computer. Is there hardware that connects to the desktop that can record this many channels at once?
Check out M-Audio Delta 1010 if you're using a desktop, or (the more expensive) RME Hammerfall (can be used with both laptop and desktop).

And have you considered FireWire?

I agree...the 1010 or the less expensive 1010LT both are excellent choices and, you'll actually get some support with the product unlike the un-Creative Lab stuff.

Back