sonar3 routing question from a sonar2 user

crosstudio

ok, it figures that i've got miles to go before my studio room construction looks like anything other than total sh**, and i need to do some mixing (with friggin' headphones).

in sonar3, can you route multiple background vocal tracks to a sub-main and then route that sub-main to the main?

that way i can apply a single compressor and/or EQ across the group of background vocal tracks.

Definitely so. Assign them any way you please.
The thing that took some poking about to get my head around is; a bus is a bus is a bus... they can feed each other, and an aux bus can look and act the same as a sub, and a master...etc. Not too bad once you see that the old static 'mixer' format where some busses can only be auxes' or masters' goes right out the window.
Then there's another complete duplicate view (in console view) of all your hardware outs that looks allot like your main master busses... :D
Wayne

It just takes some getting used to.

We Sonar users are not familiar with this kind of freedom... :D

crosstudio said:
ok, it figures that i've got miles to go before my studio room construction looks like anything other than total sh**, and i need to do some mixing (with friggin' headphones).

in sonar3, can you route multiple background vocal tracks to a sub-main and then route that sub-main to the main?

that way i can apply a single compressor and/or EQ across the group of background vocal tracks.

Cross - this is exactly the type of application the universal bus routing in S3 was designed to accomplish. For my money, it was probably the ONLY reason I upgraded (although the VST adapter was a nice bonus - at least until the envelope problem raised its head).

The routing is great for any sub-groups - e.g., drums, BGVox, horn section, etc. It alllows for individual volume control via the track faders, as well as "group" volume control via the bus fader. It also allows for applying FX across the entire group (as you have suggested), and one-button mute/solo for the group as well.

hey, that ain't half bad.

i told the wife i wasn't buying any new gear until i got the room constructed, so now i got to figure out how to bury this purchase amongst the neoprene, 2x4's, insulation, plastic sheeting, sheet rock, nails, elec. boxes, and paint. the only thing i'm not doing myself is the electricity.

crosstudio said:
hey, that ain't half bad.

i told the wife i wasn't buying any new gear until i got the room constructed, so now i got to figure out how to bury this purchase amongst the neoprene, 2x4's, insulation, plastic sheeting, sheet rock, nails, elec. boxes, and paint. the only thing i'm not doing myself is the electricity.

I frequently use mine as a template for cutting circles. It also can serve as a fixed size compass, or perhaps a 360o protractor. Sounds like construction tools to me. :D :D

i wish i'd had the money to have the basement finished when the house was built but i was (am still) tapped out... so I've got to do it myself. i'm not the worst dude with a hammer, but i'm no bob vila either.

Back