Sonar vs. Nuendo vs. Cubase and others

Koroshiya1

Hey guys...

I'm just starting out in the whole home studio stuff. I was just curious - how does Sonar compare to Cubase and Nuendo (I'm guessing they are in the same ranks).

Also, how far below the ranks of ProTools and Logic is Sonar?

Thanks!

Shortest answer is:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/review_of_Sonar_3.htm

Scroll half the way down.

You know what? Instead asking how they compare to each other, you better list what you need, go to their site, read their features, compare to your list, and ask here if you have specific question about Cakewalk. Don't get me wrong, but most of us get tired of this "Aples and oranges" questions. Good luck :)

;)
Jaymz

Koroshiya1 said:
how does Sonar compare to Cubase and Nuendo
Basically, they all do the same job. It's just a matter of taste. And our taste is excellent! :D

Every car will get you from point A to B, but would you like a Mercedes (that being Sonar) or would you like a Lada (Cubase, Nuendo, virtually every other piece of recording equipment). :D

Koroshiya1 said:
Also, how far below the ranks of ProTools and Logic is Sonar?

Thanks!

Well, since this is the cakewalk forum and a new release of Sonar 4 was announced yesterday, I guess I should ask how far below the ranks of Sonar is ProTools and Logic?

No really...it all depends on your needs and cash flow. Try them all out if you can, then make your decision.

Beltrom said:
Norwegians don't manufacture anything. They've got oil.
;)

That's right!
We don't have to steal it from Iraq... :eek:

You guys are going to take this the bad way, but I couldn't resist... :D

dachay2tnr said:
Looks like a Volvo before the discovery of quality control. :D :D

Must have been before World War? My Volvo is 19 years old and still runs. Volvo is from Sweden, that explains a lot, as Moskus puts it. Mercedes rust. German crap like Cubase. So get yourself a Volvo and you will have plenty of upgrade money until Sonar 25 is released.

tombuur said:
Must have been before World War? My Volvo is 19 years old and still runs. Volvo is from Sweden, that explains a lot, as Moskus puts it. Mercedes rust. German crap like Cubase. So get yourself a Volvo and you will have plenty of upgrade money until Sonar 25 is released.

Did you have to ruin this. We could have shown the americans how to really fight with your neigbours. I mean, sometimes the US-Canada disputes here feels more like hugs then punches...
;)

But come to think of it. I'm half Danish, so I would have to hit myself...

So... there is a connection between the car you drive and the sequenser you use? I don't think so, and certainly not hope so. :D

I drive an Opel from 1981, the model being "Record". It's gone over 330.000 kilometers. I could afford a new car, but I love that car!

What does that tell you? :p

Koroshiya1 said:
Haha...What the heck did this thread turn into?

Well, I guess we're just doing some comparisons with cars for your sake. Since you don't know what software to choose we try to give real world examples you can relate to.

Now, my 1985 Volvo at the moment runs on a mixture of gasoline and diesel fuel, because I accidentally tanked 5 liters of diesel fuel last week. No problem. She spins as always. Modern cars would have gone directly to a repair after this. The useful conclusion that can be drawn to your benefit here is: Get yourself Cakewalk 2.1 or something like that if you want a stable sequencer.

Haha...you're assuming I'm a car guy. I haven't heard of half the cars you guys have been talking about! I appreciate the effort, though! ;)

I guess what I was originally trying to get at was, what do the big label studios use, such as whoever produces Britney Spears' music (not that I am aiming to produce music anything like hers, although I do have the body for it)? Do producers of that caliber even use computers? I would imagine they do, but I could be wrong.

Koroshiya1 said:
What do the big label studios use, such as whoever produces Britney Spears' music (not that I am aiming to produce music anything like hers, although I do have the body for it)?[\QUOTE]

Guess they use some top notch version of ProTools (really expensive, almost like a new Volvo). The cheaper versions of Protools produce tracks that can be used in theirs, but I believe there are also formats that can be exported from Sonar etc. Ask those who know about it ...

As to Britney and your bodily desires my brother in law is a plastic surgeon and does a lot of that. So if you need some breast enlargement I can book time for you.

Last edited:
I don't know about in other genres, but I know that in the electronic community TCM uses a Pro Tools setup, BT uses Live for remixes especially, and I've even personally asked Q of Uberzone and said he used both Acid and Nuendo depending on what he was doing (this was about a year ago). Anyway, the short answer is that all of them are used by pros, and that they are all pretty good so just find the one that works best for you, your setup, and budget. =)

Back