Sonar 4 Producer vs Sonar 5 Studio

WzRd

Hi Everyone,

Fairly new here.

I have been using Sonar 4 producer at a friend's studio - I like it.

I am now setting up my own studio, and will purchase software.

I have in the past used Cubase, Cool edit pro and ProTools - again I like SONAR.

I use a 24 track analog board to an Alesis HD24, and fireport to a PC - I record live quite a bit. I plan to use the software pretty much for editing/mixing/processing etc.

I do not have any use for surround, and again I do not record through the software interface.

The question:

Does SONAR 5 studio have everything that SONAR 4 producer had (excluding the surround)? I have viewed the spreadsheet comparing S5 producer with S5 studio, but this is different.

I see that Sonar 5 Producer has the Roland Variphase vocal plugin with pitch correction and harmonizer - However I have a TC Helicon Voiceworks (Pitch correction and harmonizer) that I plan to run as an outboard.

If someone was happy with SONAR 4 producer and didn't need surround and recording direct to computer do you think they would be happy with SONAR 5 studio, or should I bite the extra $200 and get the producer version?

Thanks

Stroll over to the Cakewalk forum and ask those guys. You'll get tons more replies.

For me, it was worth it. I went from 4PE to 5PE. The workflow enhancements, extra features, etc were just too hard to pass up.

The main difference is going to be in the "accessories." The basic recording software is the same.

I am using Sonar Studio 3.X and I am quite happy with it. However, I also have the Waves Gold and Mastering Plugins and Autotune. A lot of what is bundled with S5 would be essentially duplicating these add ons.

So you need to look at the bundled plugins and see if any (or all) of them are worth the price differential to you (since you've already eliminated surround). If you have little or no existing software FX, these could very well be worth it.

Check out the Cakewalk / Sonar product sheet on their website. You'll see all the extra stuff the Producer version comes with. Basically it's just a ton of plugins.... that's what really puts the price up! If you're using outboard stuff, who cares. Go with the studio version. You'll love it!

Thank you all - I do appreciate it.

Yeah I use outboards, mostly for my live gigs, but I have purchaed an EMU 1212 I/O card.

That allows me to do some "patch up" stuff directly to the PC - The plugins will really help.

When I record live I usually record "dry" anyway - FX on FOH only.

My birthday in a week - so I have placed the order (with my sweetie) for the S5 PE.

Again thanks

Back