Sonar 4 Producer MIDI issues

gtrplyrguy

I am working on a project and am wanting to utilize some MIDI tracks. My problem is Sonar will not let me setup my MIDI output.

When I installed Sonar, It asked me for MIDI output. It said to choose from the list for my output. The only choice was my MIDI mapper. It lets me highlight the selection but when I click OK, it says to pick a selection from the list. My question is...do I have to purchase a separate piece of hardware for my pc or is my sound card just not installed correctly? In looking at my system hardware configuration it has my yamaha sound card listed as my MIDI hardware but Sonar will not show it on the list.

Also bear in mind that although recording is not new to me, MIDI is very new to me.

And also, is there any recomendations for literature for someone just starting out in MIDI to help better understand it?

Thanks for the info on the MIDI introduction.

Im at work now so I cant check the card and do not remember the model. I will post it when i get home.

The port is probably a shared MIDI/joystick port. What I have done is imported a MIDI drum track from my drum machine into a MIDI channel. The MIDI encoding shows up in the track wave but I get no sound from that track. I have tried various settings but it all points back to the message I recieved when I installed Sonar 4 that asked me to choose my MIDI output.

I know I have ran several other MIDI software programs without any problems. I will get the specific model of the card this evening

Thanks again for the help.

My recollection is that midi mapper will only work if you are using MME drivers. Using WDM or ASIO drivers will require that your sound card actually has a MIDI synth built in (which it sounds like it may not).

Solution?

Use DXi's. You don't say which version of Sonar you are using, but for Sonar 3 and earlier you can use the Edirol VSC. Sonar 4/5 has a similar DXi, although I can't recall the name offhand.

You could also switch over to MME drivers, but I would stick with DXi's myself.

I had this exact same problem with sonar 4, when I was using the soundcard that came with my PC.
What worked for me was switching to MME or ASIO drivers.

Now I have the Audigy 2, and it works with the WDM drivers too.
So you could either just switch driver mode or buy a new soundcard.
Or try what he said ^

Just in case you don't know where to change driver mode (I didn't) It's on Options>Audio>Advanced Tab :)

Back