Sonar 4 Producer

Trumpspade

I'M BLESSED.......
For the life of me I can't get Reason to record/ or rather bounce onto a audio track in Sonar. I've gotten instructions and believe I was doing it properly but.......Nope!
But if I can get my Reason tracks recorded in Sonar I will be Golden! I can get it to play, but not bounced into Sonar. Is there any preliminary adjustments I need to make or any other adjustments following the install?
I'm not sure what my settings should be, I am new to working with Sonar and Reason 2gether............
Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
What soundcard are you using? Some of them allow for virtual bussing. You might be able to route from one app into the other that way. Otherwise, playback on Reason and record into Sonar through the audio I/O of the soundcard.

Not very elegant. Hope that helps.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/April03_AndertonPt4-reason.asp

From the above link......

APPLICATION #5: USING MULTIPLE REASON OUTPUTS IN SONAR/HOME STUDIO

This is an advanced application that lets each Reason instrument output show up as a separate SONAR/Home Studio track, rather than feeding them all into a stereo mix. Therefore, each instrument can have it own audio processing in SONAR/Home Studio, and track data (level, pan, effects send, etc.) can be automated within SONAR/Home Studio.

Here's how to set up SONAR/Home Studio & Reason for multiple outputs.

1. When you insert Reason as a ReWire device, uncheck First Synth Output (Audio) and check All Synth Outputs (Audio).

2. SONAR/Home Studio inserts Reason and then creates 64 tracks - one for each audio output in Reason.

3. Use Reason's patch bay to connect the instruments in your Reason rack to the desired outputs.

4. To simplify the Track View, hide tracks that correspond to unused outputs (while in the Track or Console View, access the Track Manager to show/hide tracks with the M keyboard shortcut).

For example, suppose you've set up a Reason rack with 2 Malstroms, 2 SubTractors, and 2 NN-XT samplers. Reason outs 1 and 2 are tied in stereo; the rest are mono. We'll assume there are no other tracks in SONAR/Home Studio except for those that represent ReWire instruments.

In most cases, each stereo instrument will end up using two of the mono inputs and take up two tracks. You might patch the instruments as follows:

Malstrom 1: Reason Outs 1+2 (appears over SONAR Track 1, which is stereo)
Malstrom 2: Reason Outs 3+4 (appear over SONAR Tracks 2+3)
SubTractor 1: Reason Out 5 (appears over SONAR Track 4)
SubTractor 2: Reason Out 6 (appears over SONAR Track 5)
NN-XT 1: Reason Outs 7+8 (appear over SONAR Tracks 6+7)
NN-XT 1: Reason Outs 9+10 (appear over SONAR Tracks 8+9)

You can now hide (or delete) all Audio tracks in SONAR/Home Studio from Track 10 on up.

c7sus said:
What soundcard are you using? Some of them allow for virtual bussing. You might be able to route from one app into the other that way. Otherwise, playback on Reason and record into Sonar through the audio I/O of the soundcard.

Not very elegant. Hope that helps.

i have the Audiophile 2496................Thanks for the help!

thanks hogan
I will try everything out when i get home. I have done everything in the book! I really need to ensure that all of my Sonar preferences are correct and compatible to my pc etc...........But thanks for the assistance hopefully I will get a positive result.

My way of doing what you're looking for is a whole lot simpler and a whole lot less memory intensive. Just render the Reason song to a .wav file and direct it into the 'Exported Wavs' file you created in your Reason folder. Then import the result into Sonar.

word. thats what i do once i've got all the stuff in reason sounding good. that way i don't need reason open and have more system resources for sonar!

ssscientist said:
My way of doing what you're looking for is a whole lot simpler and a whole lot less memory intensive. Just render the Reason song to a .wav file and direct it into the 'Exported Wavs' file you created in your Reason folder. Then import the result into Sonar.

I tried that and it is, I must say, alot simpler............

mojew said:
word. thats what i do once i've got all the stuff in reason sounding good. that way i don't need reason open and have more system resources for sonar!

Good looking!

One more question, and this is due to my unfamiliarity with Sonar............
I was quite easy for me to export as a wave and import into Sonar. But I can't get a sound out of what I imported. I assume Sonars settings are correct because I can play and hear previous recordings I had in HomeStudio. I can see what imported but I can't hear anything............

errrrrrr ummmmmm......... Help!

You haave to ensure that the audio settings between what you expoorted in reason match what you have Sonar.

Also, check your track setting in Sonar to make sure that you have routed the audio to an acceptable output.

Other than that, I need more info on the problem, as in specifics.

Thanks alot Fraser.............I do remember that I had saved my Reason Progam with the Mixer volume shut all the way down. When I get home, I will change it.............

It was my settings in Reason.........I am on my way with this Sonar thing.....
I am not new to recording, I had messed with Sonar a tad bit a couple of years ago, but all knowledge is lost. Sonar 4 has come a looong way, I must say! Thanks for the help, I know it will take a while for me to even get the basic down, getting my Reason projects into Sonar was Key. Now for the vocal attempt, any suggestions???? Any basic things I need to know? I am digging in the manual every day, is there any easier books out there to help me grasp Sonar better? I don't think I like Rewire, I like importing/exporting better, just in my opinion it is easier.........
Thanks Again all..................................

Back