Sonar 4 - CD Level Volume

mbrowne

Hey guys,

I recently started my recording project with my band. I have a great mix and we are all happy with the sound but I need it to be louder before it goes to CD. What do you recommend I do? If I push the levels much more I'll be in the red on some tracks. Is there a separate application that I can run the wave files through to get it to a decent CD level volume?

Thanks for any help you may have.

-mbrowne

I adjusted the trim levels for each track as high as I could, but without causing clipping of the signal into the soundcard. That way, there is a ton of volume in the finished product. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone except me, but it works for me!

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to try the trim levels first, then I will try the Izotope plug-in.

-mbrowne

mbrowne said:
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to try the trim levels first, then I will try the Izotope plug-in.

-mbrowne

Personally I think you should be doing your final mastering outside of Sonar. Sound Forge or something like that would be best IMO.

Synkrotron said:
Personally I think you should be doing your final mastering outside of Sonar. Sound Forge or something like that would be best IMO.

I second this!!!! Don't do any of the above "crap" to your mix. Sorry guys. :D

It's okay for the volume not to be up to CD level when in the mixing stages. That's what mastering is for. As suggested, Sound Forge is an excellent mastering suite and my program of choice as well.

I was looking at the Sony Products. Will CD Architect do what I need or is Sound Forge like CD Architect just a recording interface as well?

go to www.kvraudio.com

do a search on a free VST limiter called 'classic master limiter'. i use it on the mastering stage to boost over all volume (up to 15db if you want) without it actually clipping or going over -.02 db threshold.

its a nice little/simple unit that does the job!

Back