Setting up Midi controller for VST Key's in Sonar 6PE?

WERNER 1

Hey guys,..... I've got a Roland A-80 Midi controller Keyboard that I got from our keyboard player, and I'd like to hook it up and use it with Sonar to use some of my VST Instruments (Drums, bass, and keys/synths)..... The problem is that I'm a guitarist ( :o ) and I have NO idea how midi works :(

Would anyone be willing to hold my and walk me through this in baby steps? ....please.. :o

Here's my Set up:

Roland A-80 ----> Delta 1010 w/Breakout Box (Has midi in and out) ----> Sonar 6PE (I'm pretty new to this as well, I came from using AA 1.5/ CEP )

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Rick

.....ok, Now I'm officially lost.... Is that setting the keyboard up as a "Control Surface" ??

I'm just looking to use it to play in real time using soft synths as well as use it with EZ Drummer's Drum kit from hell to lay down some drum tracks by beating on the keys :) .....and maybe some bass stuff as well...

I've actually got it hooked up in sonar now and using it with Sonar's "Soft Synths" that come in PE ....but IMO they don't sound very good (???? can this be correct, or have I not dug into it deep enough??)

Thanks,
Rick

Some of the samples sound pretty decent. You may want to load some of the drum patterns that come with it and find the sounds you like. You can modify from there or just load those sounds manually.

This was done with Sonar PE ez drummer (or whatever they call it)

Not the best, but not bad either.

F.S.

Yeah, all the EZ Drummer stuff sounds killer, but I'd like to add my own cymbol crashes as well as make up some of my own into/outro's as well as some fills .....But yeah, just dragin' the drum tracks and droppin' them into one of the Sonar Tracks is easy and cool!

Thanks,
Rick

PS - I dig the rhythm guitar sound on that song :)

Back