SB Live! and Sonar 3.0 Studio

something cool

Hey guys, got a quick (maybe easy) question for you.

I recently moved away to college and my folks were real nice and bought me a new computer: Dell 2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM, Win XP Home, GeForce FX 5200 ... yadda yadda. Anyways, I didn't have the foresight to include a SB Audigy in the system rather than an SB Live!

Now, when i try and open up Sonar, it gives me the message "One or more sound cards do not support stereo. The default audio format has been set to mono." I know it's the SB Live! causing this because it doesn't happen when I disable it in the hardware profiles. When I open up an audio file, it will play back, but it's all wonky. Everything audio plays like 3 octaves below what it should, like a tape in slo-mo. The Audigy in my old system worked fine with Sonar.

Now, obviously, neither the Live! or the Audigy is really suitable for recording or mixing. But, given my current setup, living situation, and general lack of finances, I'd like to get it to work. I do have a Delta 1010lt sitting in there, but I don't want to use it for playback (for various reasons which I won't bother getting into).

Okay, so what I'm getting at is, does anybody have any knowledge about or experience with this particular problem? If so, what did you do to fix it/get around it? If not, is there anything you might be able to suggest I try (besides ditching the SB, I already know that one, I'm just trying to see if I can make do with what I have, and I will be getting my Audigy back in a week or so if I can't figure out how to make the Live work)

Thanks

This is a driver problem.

I believe it can be corrected by using the Microsoft driver provided with Win XP rather than the Creative driver. Try going into control panel and use roll back to previous driver.

Thanks I'll try that

EDIT: Well I got it to work. I uninstalled the driver, and then went to Windows Update to install the latest Win XP driver for the Live! (I think it's the same flippin' driver...). But hey, it works now. The card sucks ass and can't keep up, so I had to bump up the latency, but hey, at least it works.

Thanks dachay

Last edited:
a little off thread

I have a 1010lt I bought used and play back through it. For what reason would you not want to? It seems to work ok for me.

Back