S3 and Piano Roll

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
The Sonar 3 manual (pg 259) says that to change the start time of a note in PRV, but not the duration, you can drag the left edge of the note in either direction.

Well, that's certainly the way it worked in S1 and S2, but I'm sorry, it don't seem to work that way in S3. In S3 if you drag the left edge of the note, it changes BOTH the start time and duration.

Does it work that way for everyone else? Is there a way to make it behave like the previous editions?

I know I can right click and manually enter a new start time, but dragging is a lot quicker (and only requires the mouse, rather than mouse and keyboard).

And while I'm at it... is there any way to move several notes at the same time? Like let's say I have a chord starting at 3:01:000 and I want it to start at 3:01:050. Can I move all the notes simultaneously, or do I need to drag them one at a time?

Two ways I know of.

Hold the Ctrl key and click on the notes you want to move. Once you have selected them all just drag to the start time you wish.

The other way uses the time bar above the piano roll, where the numbers for the measures are. Just click on the time line and holding the mouse button down, drag to your right or left marking the zone of notes to be selected. Once you have them selected, drag to the new start time.

Hope that helps.

MM

Thanks, MM. Those methods work. The only limitation, however, is that they will only allow movement to the degree that is set in the "snap to" grid. (About 120 ticks minimum if you're set at 960 ticks per quarter note).

In fooling around, I found another method that will allow for movement in whatever increments you want. Select the notes as you described in your first method above, and then use the Process > Slide command.

I frequently use the slide command for audio clips, but never tried it with midi before. A little bit tedious, but probably faster than moving 3 or 4 notes via the Right-Click, Note Properties method.

Your suggestion is much better if you're moving in standard increments. But the slide command is good when you want small nudges.

Yeah that's another one I had not thought of although I usually turn off snap to grid when I am aligning midi to audio.

I use some nudge cals I found to do nudging. I can do this for 1, 5 and 15 ticks per keystroke if need be, or I can just hold down the proper key and it nudges until I release.

This is one of the reason why I still edit my notes in Cakewalk Pro 3 rather than Sonar 3 :D

One of the bug (?) I found is, if you drag the right edge of the note to the right until outside of the window (which usualy scrolls the window automaticaly to the right, and stop when we stop dragging), the scrolling windows (and note mentioned) is not stopping! It keeps dragging until nowhere. It crashes Sonar and the whole windows session. Nothing you can do but hit reset button. I've tried on two different machines. Same problem. Do you have the same problem?

James Argo said:
One of the bug (?) I found is, if you drag the right edge of the note to the right until outside of the window (which usualy scrolls the window automaticaly to the right, and stop when we stop dragging), the scrolling windows (and note mentioned) is not stopping! It keeps dragging until nowhere. It crashes Sonar and the whole windows session. Nothing you can do but hit reset button. I've tried on two different machines. Same problem. Do you have the same problem?
No, James. :D

Actually, I just tried this on my general purpose, non-DAW machine. The screen scrolled to the right. When I released the mouse, it just stopped scrolling as you would expect.

Thanks for trying it out for me, Dachay :) I dunno, it happens in my case only. I've tried in my friend's AMD duron 1200 machine. It works right. All is correct. Hmmm.. strange. Today I made several changes in my machines. From updating BIOS, reinstalling WinXP & Win98SE (in the other machine), both gave me same scrolling problem. So I guess it's not OS or Sonar related. The only common thing is both machines have NVidia TNT2 AGP card. I've updated their latest driver. No luck... :(

Hey, maybe something tries to tell me to get dual head? :confused:

Back