Replacing midi with wav samples

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
I have a project who has brasses played using EDIROL Hypercanvas. Now I want to replace midi notes with the samples I have, which are in AKAI format (most of them). Do you know how I can do it??. I´m using SONAR 4 PE. The idea is not to play the brasses again with the new samples loaded.

Thanks
TS

you have to record your audio signal from your MIDI device onto a Sonar track via the line in port of your sound card

Mmm, I wasn´t clear i think. What I want is load the new samples I have (AKAI format most of them) into SONAR as VST instrument and replace the midi I have. I know how to change sounds or instruments when they´re in midi format, just insert a new VST and it will play those midi notes with the sound I want. I want to do exactly the same but using wav samples this time. Do you know how to do it, without playin everything again???. Is that possible??

Thanks
TS

OK... not sure how to do that with software... I own a sampler so I would load them into there and play it as a MIDI device.

I'm sure that there must be a plugin of some sort that allows you to do that... perhaps a search on Google is in order

sorry I couldn't help you

I believe there are a couple of DXi's or VSTi's that will play AKAI format. You could check into Kompakt or Kontakt as well.

Also, wasn't there a sampler packaged with Sonar 4 Producer (VSampler?). I'm not positive, but that might be able to use AKAI format samples as well.

Kompakt will also allow you to create your own instrument definitions using Wave files.

Bottom line is that you don't actually do this in Sonar. You do in the sampler program and then use the sampler to play the samples in Sonar using the midi track feed. (I hope you can follow that. :) )

Thanks Dachay, I´m at work now so I can´t try it. I think the same too. But in case it doesn´t open akai format, you said I use the sampler to play midi track feeding it in SONAR, is that correct???. Do I have to use the sampler output and assign it as an input into the midi track I have. Hope you can explain it to me.

Thanks
TS

TamaSabian said:
Thanks Dachay, I´m at work now so I can´t try it. I think the same too. But in case it doesn´t open akai format, you said I use the sampler to play midi track feeding it in SONAR, is that correct???. Do I have to use the sampler output and assign it as an input into the midi track I have. Hope you can explain it to me.

Thanks
TS
No. You need to assign the sampler as the output destination for the midi track. Midi Track > Sampler.

The sampler is patched onto an audio track. Once you patch it, the sampler should appear as a choice in the drop down list of output destinations for the midi track.

You want to use a sampler that will work as a DXi or VSTi. I'm not sure Giga (as recommended by synkrotron) will do that. It is probably usable but may be a bit complex to setup. I'm not that familiar with stand alone samplers, but I'm thinking it may need something like Rewire to work from within Sonar. I think Acidrock used to work with Giga, so if he stops by he can probably comment more intelligently on it.

Kompakt or VSampler, on the other hand, both should work directly from within Sonar. I know Kompakt does, as I use it. I also just checked, and it will handle AKAI formats:
Kompakt is the quickest way to build a production-ready instrument collection, and it can also import Kompakt, Gigasampler, EXS, AKAI, and other common formats.

Ok, thanks a lot. Everything is clear now. I´ll check VSampler first. Hope it can handle akai format, otherwise I have two options, buy kompakt or stay with midi dealing with those poor brasses. I´m working on Paul Mc Cartney´s Jet cover, I´m doing a demo with my band to book some gigs. Paul´s birthday is in june, so we want to celebrate it doing him a tribute. That´s why I want to replace the brasses with something better.

Thanks
TS

TamaSabian said:
Ok, thanks a lot. Everything is clear now. I´ll check VSampler first. Hope it can handle akai format, otherwise I have two options, buy kompakt or stay with midi dealing with those poor brasses. I´m working on Paul Mc Cartney´s Jet cover, I´m doing a demo with my band to book some gigs. Paul´s birthday is in june, so we want to celebrate it doing him a tribute. That´s why I want to replace the brasses with something better.

Thanks
TS
Brass is difficult to make sound good with midi. It depends a lot on the style. Good luck.

Back