Recording from midi piano back to computer???

stevebusch

Hi,
I've posted a question in another topic, but maybe it would be more specific to Cakewalk users. I'm trying to send the external piano back into Cakewalk so I can eventually burn a CD, but my system struggles to keep up.
I have a pentium III 500 with 256mb ram and 4gig free disc space. I've tried different sources (Internal vs. audio) in the Tools/Project Options dialog, and they both produce pitch wiggle, or stammering.

Any ideas, or is my system not capable of recording digital audio from my midi piano?

(Sound Card is Creative Ensoniq PCI)

First off- what O/S and what ver. of CW?
It certainly isn't the PC's shortcomings in the processing power department. I've made plenty of CD's that I've recorded using a P90
with < 1GB free space and 24MB RAM. This system was also used to burn the final CDs. Have you tried another digital audio recording program so you can eliminate CW as the problem? Cool Edit, Goldwave etc.
Sonic Foundry will give you a free, fully functional copy of Vegas Pro so you can run this experiment.

Vegas Pro has no MIDI capability, but it should allow you to determine whether that jitter and stutter is software or hardware related.
I have CW 6 and Win 98. Since I went from 95 to 98, CW 6 no longer can record or playback audio, but it's still great for MIDI. So I run CW and Vegas Pro together to record MIDI tracks.

Thanks.
I also found out that my sound card is relatively inexpensive, but before upgrading I'll experiment with the software side of things.

cakewalk is a swine to set up properly .... at the moment im getting 32 tracks of 44.1khz recording ....
your pute should easily kick ass... get more tracks than me..... if its stuttering it`s a buffer problem .... by the sounds of it you have a top spec pc.... so hd should be well fast enough.... if thats the case try DROPPING the hd buffers for optimum playback..keep trying ..when u get somewhere near write down all buffer settings and continue messing about... you will get there... if you were using a software synth .then that would take its own chunk of the processor.... so there would be a slight delay between the midi note + the recorded audio note... no problem,cut the dead space out with an audio editor

If you are trying to record an audio track from a MIDI track, and on playback it sounds like the audio track is stammering etc. then it could be just a simple case of you've set the sync to internal instead of audio. If your trying to play audio and the sync is set to internal, then it stammers etc. Check this out first before you try all those other more technical things.

Back