Recording drums: hardware advice needed

takk

My first post, wow!

I have been using Cakewalk/Sonar for 3 years now, and even if there is something better out there, it's what I know and I'm sticking with it.

I'm a guitar player. I mostly use Sonar to record guitar using a Line6 FlextoneII direct through an m-audio AudioBuddy preamp into a SoundBlaster Live! card (yeah, I know). I also use a Zoom123 drum machine to add drums, also through the preamp.

The question:

The band that I play with is going to start rehearsing at my house, and I want to make some halfway decent recordings. The big problem is going to be the Drums. Currently, I can only record 2 simultaineous mono tracks (line-in L/R). I know that I need at least 3 mics on the drums and 4 would be even better. What should I buy?

I know that I can get an inexpensive 8 track mixer, use it as a sub-mixer and record it's output to 1 stereo track on SONAR for drums. But them I'm stuck with the mix.

I should also add that I don't mind at all not being able to record everything live (drums, 2 guitars, bass, and vocals). After the drums I have no problem laying down everything else later.

The only options I can think of is to get some kind of porta-studio for just recording/mixing drums, and use SONAR for everything else. Or, get some type of sound card or something that can record at least 4 tracks at the same time.

Now, this is only a hobby I don't want to spend $1000 but welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

- Takk

takk said:
I know that I can get an inexpensive 8 track mixer, use it as a sub-mixer and record it's output to 1 stereo track on SONAR for drums. But them I'm stuck with the mix.
Then you need a multi IO card such as the Delta 44, Delta 66 or Delta 1010.

And "takk" means "thank you" in Norwegian. ;)

Cheapest option I can tell is to get M-Audio Delta 1010LT for less than ~$300. It records 8 analog audio track simultaneously into Sonar. But since it only offers 2 mic preamps, you still need mixer that can handle at least 6 mics. After recording the drums, you can add everything else later...

;)
Jaymz

James is right, I think that Delta1010LT is an affordable option, you could have 2 XLR plus 6 RCA ins to record what you want. If you like to track your drums using 4 tracks at least, you´re done. Use your Audio Buddy plus Delta´s XLR ins.

Tama

So, basically the AudioBuddy/Delta XLR inputs combo would avoid me having to buy a mixer (total of 4 mics). Great!

Now why all of those RCA inputs on the Delta1010LT? What good are they in the pro-audio world? I'm guessing using adapters from 1/4" to RCA is a common scenario.

Thank you for the info, much apprechiated.

- Takk (just a nickname)

Just me.... but, If I was going to spend money I wouldn't get the LT version. I would spend the extra money and get the Deta 1010. 8 in's, 8 outs + midi in-midi out plus a whole lot more. One is on my Christmas list for sure.

takk said:
Now why all of those RCA inputs on the Delta1010LT? What good are they in the pro-audio world? I'm guessing using adapters from 1/4" to RCA is a common scenario.

Nothing's wrong with all 6 RCA, they just don't have mic pre-amp which is required if you want to record using mic. There you must use pre-amp before RCA input. The two XLR, however are pre-amped.

Delta 1010LT also has MIDI in-out, spdif, digital IO, etc etc that Delta 1010 has. *Almost* all features of Delta 1010 is there, but the breakout box... :)

;)
Jaymz

I've been happy with the 1010LT. It was definitely a bargain and works well. I'm leaning toward selling it and picking up a regular 1010 mostly for the breakoutbox to clean up the cabling. I really like the preamps on the 1010LT though.

Back