recording audio

BigPapaFly

My last question got sent to archives so I've copied my original question, plus the responses...

okay, here I go again. I asked this question last month and received this thread

(http://www.cakewalk.com/tips/techtipaugust.asp)

as an answer...and it worked like a charm. I have no problem recording audio using my Cakewalk. Problem is, I'm trying to help my neighbor record audio on HIS Cakewalk, and since his is apparentrly configured differently than mine, and his soundcard is different, I'm having real difficulties. (both are ProAudio 9)

I follow the steps that I use to record audio on my Cakewalk, and it just doesn't work on his. So, I made notes of all of his settings so that you guys could help me figure this out. I hope.

On mine, all I do is set the source to Stereo Avance AC97 Audio, arm the track, and record. IT's DONE! For his I set it to Crystal Sound Fusion Stereo, arm the track, RECORD, NOTHING!

The Mixer Device Playback is checked only on "Synth"
The Mixer Device Recording is checked on "Wave Out Mix" (other options are analog/TV tuner/CD player/Line/Mic/ & Phone Line)

Options- Midi Devices: Input Ports= Sound Fusion External Midi
Output Ports= Roland VSC 88 * Sound Fusion External Midi are highlighted. (other options are Midi Mapper & Microsoft Wavetable SW Synth

OPtions Instrument uses Roland GS

Sorry for all the info, thought it would be helpful in helping. Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Responses:
1. Firstly, on-board sound cards are not the best solution for recording. You probably knew that already.

For recording guitar you are likely to be connected to a line-in input. So your recording device should be set to Line in.

Also check the soundcard's mixer to ensure that the line in isn't muted. Click on the little speaker icon in the botton RH corner of your screen. Make sure the volume slider is wound up towards the top of its travel.

Let us know if that works.

2. If you want to record audio, that audio-stream needs to be connected to your soundcard somehow. Are you using the Line In or the Mic In? Find that out and go to the Windows Mixer -> Recording and select the device Line In or Mic in.

In Windows Mixer -> Playback I think you should select Wave (or similar) too. That way you're able to hear what you have recorded... ;

I I set recording select for Line In...didn't work

Set it for Mic In...didn't work

And, they were not muted, the volume was up, and the Select box was checked.

My problem is that I know how to do stuff, I just don't know WHY or HOW it works, therefor I am unable to logically go through problem-solving steps.

Any help is appreciated.

The Mixer Device Recording is checked on "Wave Out Mix" (other options are analog/TV tuner/CD player/Line/Mic/ & Phone Line)

What is it that you are recording.

You need to set the Mixer Device Recording to either Line or Mic depending on which port on the sound card that you are plugged into.

What is it that you are recording.

You need to set the Mixer Device Recording to either Line or Mic depending on which port on the sound card that you are plugged into.

Yeah, I think it wasn't set properly, but that was what I did yesterday, I set it to Line IN and gave it a shot...nothing...then I set it to Mic and got nothing.

Maybe this'll help: I am recording MIDI tracks 1-5 (for example) onto track 6. As soon as a hit stop recording, I see a wavy audio line in the track-- but it quickly (one second?) flat-lines. It seems like the audio is there-- I CAN SEE THE LINE-- for a fraction of a second.

Thanks for the help-- any ideas help.

Back