Recorded tracks fall out of sync

It_makes_music

Hi everyone, my name is John and I'm new to the forum here.

I have a problem when recording a band using Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2. First off, the drum kit was recorded onto one track - without a metronome as the drummer couldn't hear the MIDI click. However, the drummer is question is skilled and can keep good time anyway.

The next track to be laid down was guitar. Because there was no metronome, the already recorded drum track was played through the speakers so that the guitarist could play in time with the drums. During the actual recording of the guitar, both the drum track and the guitar input was, obviously, coming out of the speakers, and both were perfectly in time.

However, upon playback of both drum and guitar tracks, within 10 to 20 seconds the guitar track was significantly out of time - ahead of the drum track, as if the guitar was being played too fast (which was clearly heard not to be the case during recording).

Even stranger, the guitar track would drift back into time, then out again, and so on, maybe every 30 seconds. The guitar and drums would always be in time initially, then waver. So, faced with the painstaking options of recording 10 second lumps of guitar, bass, vocal, or re-aligning these tracks, I'm wondering does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this problem?

Here are my specs:

PC
==
Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop
3.2 GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP (SP2 not installed)

Sound Cards
=========
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX external (USB) [default]
SigmaTel C-Major Audio [not used for recording]

Drums recorded via several mics -> mixing desk -> LINE IN
Guitar recorded via amp -> mic -> mixing desk -> LINE IN
Monitoring via FRONT SPKR jack -> AUX IN of JVC amp -> speakers

In GT Options/Audio menu, is there a tab where you can select the timing masters? For both Recording and Playback it should be the first channel of the Audigy and not the SigmaTel.

Back