Recorded MIDI instruments seem to playback wrong

Ted Scheffler

I just started using Home Studio 9 and I'm new to MIDI stuff, so I'm guessing it's my ignorance at fault here. Anyway, when I record a keyboard sound using my Yamaha keyboard through a Nanosynth, the recording seems to work fine. But when I play it back, I only get a piano sound. In other words, let's say I've selected a marimba "voice" to record. It plays back as basic piano. Any suggestions on how to make sense of this?

I know that I can choose a particular patch from the "Track Properties" for playback and get that sound. But can I get the original sound I recorded without having to find it in the patch list? Thanks.

Did you select a patch for that track before you saved the .wrk file? CW will just load
the tracks to play whatever patches the synth is preset to play. When you selected the marimba, you just selected it on the Nanosynth. It wasn't saved to the .wrk file. The patch selection/change commands must be saved with the file. I usually use a preset blank .wrk file with all of my favorite patches on 32 tracks.

No, I didn't select a patch before saving. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that everytime I record. Maybe I'm thinking in analog terms, but I thought I could select a sound/patch on the Nanosynth and get that sound to record on Cakewalk without having to do the operation twice, selecting patches both before and after recording. If I need to select a patch afterward to get the sound I want, what use is the Nanosynth, since it seems like it wouldn't matter what sound I send to Cakewalk. I hope this makes sense. Like I said, I'm a MIDI rookie and am still getting use to thinking in MIDI.

I can't speak exactly for your predicament because I've got the Canvas not the Nanosynth but basically it's the same deal. You should have it set up so that the selection of parameters on the synth is made inside CW and not from the front panel controls. If you do this the .wrk file will play the proper sounds without having to remember what you did for each track. And you're right- you shouldn't have to do this twice. If you do it in CW and save it there, there should be no need to enter all of this data again.
Just load the .wrk file and hit "PLAY".

Back