Problems selecting a midi device in Sonar 4

seraph

I've used acid and a few other programs before, but I've just recently installed Sonar 4. I'm very new to this forum (1st post).

I get an error message, "No Midi Outputs Selected." I have no 'Inputs' and only one output, Microsoft Midi Mapper. However, when I try to select it and click OK, it acts as though I didn't select anything.

Has anyone had this problem?

How about some more info. Do you have a MIDI interface? Do you have an external synth?

SONAR comes with a couple of DXi (DirectX software instruments). Read the docs about how to use those. their output is piped to the audio data stream of your sound hardware so you can get sounds to play without having a hardware device to play them with.

I have no external synth. I'm pretty sure the problem is that the program's output is unable to reach my audio hardware (sound card); the program is unable to render any sound.

The option in question is in the tab: Options/Midi Devices.... When I try to select something (Microsoft MIDI Mapper) as an output and click OK, it tells me that I haven't selected an output at all, warning me that if I do not select an output that I won't hear anything play. "Microsoft MIDI Mapper" is the only option that is on the box.

I have 'SoundMax' integrated digital audio with 'Legacy' audio drivers on my Asus motherboard.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the problem is that the program's output is unable to reach my audio hardware (sound card); the program is unable to render any sound.

So do you mean you hear no sound at all? From audio tracks too? Well, that's a bigger problem.

"Microsoft MIDI Mapper" is the only option that is on the box.

The MIDI Mapper won't help if it's not mapping to anything; it's not itself a sound source.

As I said, read up on using DXi. They are not present in the list of hardware MIDI devices because they aren't physical devices.

seraph. lets start with some basics because i have some suspicions.
firstly in windows search put in *.mid then clik on one of the midi
files that comes up and tell me if it plays in windows media player.
(windows comes with quite a few midi files).
if the midi plays but you dont hear sound tell me.
by the way soundmax on board sound chips are only usefull
for playing windows burps and sounds in office applications.
and should not be considered for professional recording.
you should consider getting a proper sound card.
otherwise - with respect its rather like trying to drive a bmw (sonar)
with a clunky engine(soundmax).

peace.

Thanks

As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm an ultra-newb. I tried what you guys said with no luck. Then I finally pulled my head out of my bum and read about the DXi, and that was where my problem was. Things are running smoothly now.

Thanks very much for your help and patients!

When and if you do get a semi-pro soundcard, make sure you disable your ASUS SoundMAx drivers, otherwise, you'll get conflicts. ;) Control Panel>Sytem>Hardware Devices>Multimedia sound controler. Double click and choose do not use this device (Disable). You can easily enable later if you wish to.

Back