Problems getting Aark Playback of laid tracks thru Headphones while recording audio

bloozguy

I've gone thru the Aardvark manual...I've set up my Patch bay as suggested that is suppose direct recorded tracks to be heard thru the headphones while recording a new track.

I'm still hearing ONLY my instrument being recorded thru the headphones as I play it...with the other tracks already recorded coming thru the system speakers.

I got an email back from the Aardvark tech...but, get the feeling he didn't understand what I was asking for...so, I emailed him back again. He basically just explained setting up the Port, but there are no instructions to direct recorded playback to the headphones in the port.

I have a PC, with "SoundBlaster Live! Wave" soundcard, 256RAM on a pentium III. My port shows these options to choose from on Cakewalk-
SB Live! Wave Device
1,2 Direct Pro 24/96
3,4 Direct Pro 24/96
5,6 Direct Pro 24/96
1-A: SB Live! MIDI Synth

I've been using "SB Live! Wave Device" as my default for my Port. Tracks are recording, but all playback is thru the sys speakers.

Obviously, my whole potential to record clean sound is nil and void if I cannot direct recorded tracks thru my headphones once I start using acoustic instruments and vocal mics. Feedback anyone???

I also went to the Advanced Tab in the Direct Show Audio of the "Options" on the toolbar, and made sure that "Simultaneous Playback" was selected.

Any suggestions to how I can get Aardvark and Cakewalk 9.0 set up to direct playback thru headphones? Thanks....

bloozguy

Ok... so first you need to eliminate the soundblaster live from your entire cakewalk setup. Make sure you've only selected the Aardvark as your inputs/outputs. Note that if you are using Midi sounds on your Soundblaster then keep it as your midi record/playback setup, otherwise go with the Aardvark card exclusively.

Check the input setup for each track in your Cakewalk file, make sure it's set to the proper Aardvark channel for input & output.

You didn't state what you were actually plugging your headphones into. This could cause a multitude of variables based on your dual soundcard setup.

The aardvark has a vastly superior timing clock compared to the SB, always be sure it's selected as your timing master as well as your audio recording device.

**NEWS for aardvark users they finally released a public beta for Win2k, but it's ASIO/MME only (NNOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!). They still appear to be WDM challenged. Sigh.**

http://www.aardvark-pro.com/downloads.html

Hey bloozguy,
Direct your main output bus (is that what you mean by "port"?) to 5,6 Direct Pro 24/96.

Queue

Thanks Heinz and Queue,

I'll mess around with it tonight then when I get done with work, and give a report.

For a couple days, I did hardly anything but mess around with sources and ports. Originally, I found sound working, (that is...I could hear it thru computer speakers and it would show a signal that would record) when using the SB Live!, and the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth as my ports. I had and have success using the Direct Pro as my source, (of course) but had no luck hearing anything (if I remember right) when the Direct Pro was used as a port. Its possible I had my patches set up wrong at that time though which would account for sound not coming out of the speakers. Yet perhaps the headphones would have been working.

You've given me some basis to mess around by your advice here...and tonight I'll see what happens. Thanks...
-Bloozguy

Last edited:
Queue said:
bloozguy,

Here's how my patches are set up.... Queue

yeah, I checked that out, and this is the set up I used, recommended in the manual...maybe I'll get it to work tonight....thanks,

Larry

Alright....progress. Not perfect yet, but I owe you guys one for getting me a step closer!

I eliminated the SB Live...using only the Direct Pro card settings.

I messed with playback...and patch settings....

I'm getting playback thru headphones! Yeah!!!

I get only the playback track I patch at this point...thinking though, there must be someway to hear all tracks thru headphones at once in order to balance and judge sound, correct? Right now, I've got my rhythm guitar on playback patch Direct 1,2 and my lead guitar on Direct 5,6 getting only the sound of the one I direct to my headphone.

(To take advantage of effects, playback has to come thru Direct Pro 5,6 ...right?)

The other thing...I absolutely cannot figure how to direct drum sound to go to headphones.

my drums are set right now to port thru the SB midi synth card. There is nothing I can see in the Aardvark Patch Bay to hint at patching a midi sound.

Finally, what should I know about the timing master? The Playback master, verus Record. I have each set on the Direct Pro 1,2 right now...

thanks...starting to get some of this.
bloozguy

DUH!!! *thunk thunk thunk (head hitting keyboard)

Good grief....you guys deserve a hearty laugh at my expense.

Just figured out why after following your instructions I wasn't getting a mix of all the tracks together thru the headphones.

guess what beginner dumb thing I did, I forgot to take the mute off the playback modules in the console! Okay....laugh away, I got it coming!!!!

...but I'm still looking for any insights to getting drums to patch thru or come thru the headphones. Thanks....

bloozguy

drum solution?

Okay, I may have ironed out the drum problem late last night. After learning how to convert the midi signal to audio for mixdown, I got my two tracks for drums. I imagine the simple thing here is not to wait until mixdown time to convert this signal to audio, though...one would have to have all the little nuances and clips completed first.

Actually downloaded and burned to cd, so...I figured out about half this I guess, but much appreciation Heinz and Queue for the insight that got me to this point!

bloozguy

Yay!!!

Glad to hear you've got it going...

Be sure to post a mix in the MP3 clinic whenever you get to that point...

Queue

Back