Problem opening Sonar project files

warble

Hey all,
I just started experiencing some weird problems opening S3 project files. After booting and opening S3, I can load any project in just fine. If I close that project, and attempt to open another one, S3 doesn't respond well. I see the drive light flashing like the HD is working, but what happens is S3 will kinda hang. CTRL-ALT-DEL can then be used to close the application.

This hasn't happened everytime, but it seems to be more commonplace these days. My system is:

Asus A7V8X-X w/ Athlon XP 2100+, 512 megs ram, Windows 2000 Pro (SP4).

I hadn't defragged the drive that I use for project/audio files, and thought that might help (I've read conflicting info on whether defragging is good or bad), but it didn't seem to make a difference. My project files are stored on the same drive as all audio files - would this be a prob.?

Any thoughts on what I might do would be appreciated. Would stepping up to Windows XP be a good move for me? I've been happy with Win 2K and performance has been pretty good for me too. How about RAM? Been thinking about throwing in another 512 for a total of 1 GIG. Would this make a difference in loading projects? I do use Sampletank in the projects.

Thanks for reading!

Warren

warble said:
I do use Sampletank in the projects.
That's pretty RAM heavy, isn't it?

When I first started using the DrumKit from Hell (it's massive), I started to wonder if my machine had crashed when I loaded projects. But, after a cigarette it finally open. Loading project with plugins that deman a lot of RAM takes time.

I added 512 MB RAM. It went a little faster. But Sonar was running alot smoother.

Moskus,

Thanks for your input. Thinking harder about it all, I think RAM would be a good place to start. ST does love RAM, and all the instruments are loaded there. I think I use on average about 2-3 per project. Just weird how the first project opens pretty darn quick, then after closing, the other ones keep me waiting.

Warren

warble said:
Just weird how the first project opens pretty darn quick, then after closing, the other ones keep me waiting.
But they do open after some time?

Back