Problem importing old .midi files into Sonar 3

thought_arcade

Hi,

I'm rather new to midi and Sonaris the first sequencing program I've bought -

About 7 years ago I wrote a whole pile of music for a theatre company on a Yamaha W7 - I recorded it all on the hardware sequencer and saved it in its
proprietary format as well as creating a midi file.

That synth has long since left me, but I still have the .midi files.

What I would like to do is put those midi files into Sonar and replace the sounds with my new crop of soft synths...

If i play the midi file on its on (even with RealPlayer or something) they sound fine, in terms of notes, timing, etc... obviously through General Midi sounds,

But when I load them into Sonar, they're a total mess, in every way. Some tracks make NO sound, and the whole thing goes crazy...

Is there something I should be doing when I open them in Sonar? I would like the timing, volume and general information to remain, but i completely want to discard the sound associations and replace them with new ones...

There is a dialog box when I open a midi file, is there anything I should be un/checking to facilitate this?

I'm lost! Help! Please!

TA

Welcome to the board TA, :)

If you can open it... then you can re-adjust almost anything with sonar, and save it. I suspect the file contains some sys ex info that loads when you open it. Go View --> Sysx after you load it.

;)
Jaymz

Thanks!

Hi Jaymz, and thanks for the welcome...

Indeed, you were correct - I am happily restoring my old files to their former glory!

Argh, so much to learn now!

Thanks again,

TA

Back