Plug-ins and real-time recording effects

Savat

Hello,
This is a question that has probably been debated a thousand times before bu I'm new here, thus I gotta ask:

With Cakewalk9, is there a way to use a real-time effect plug-in while recording? (just like ProTools) Since Cakewalk relies on Cache memory, I believe it's technically possible...

So what do you say?

Yes you can use real-time effects. It tells you how in the help file.

Look up "real-time effects".

oops -- I didn't see the part about "while recording". Disregard what I said above. Sorry.

You mean use an effect on a track while recording to that track? Such that you would be able to hear the effect while monitoring during recording? Not sure about that. It hasn't worked for me. But it would be good if it were possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Savat:
Hello,
This is a question that has probably been debated a thousand times before bu I'm new here, thus I gotta ask:

With Cakewalk9, is there a way to use a real-time effect plug-in while recording? (just like ProTools) Since Cakewalk relies on Cache memory, I believe it's technically possible...

So what do you say?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume we are talking audio effects not midi effects here. There are both in Cakewalk.

If you set up the audio effect as a master channel effect (aux bus effect) you can do this. You can set up to 4 of these effects (maybe more - sorry I am not in the program right now) from the Audio Options menu.

These eat cpu cycles big-time however, so unless you are on 450Mhz or above you may or maynot get good results.

Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks for trying to help, bit it still doesn't work.
What I really want to do is apply some compression plugin while recording. Not on the submix, but on the analog input track.
I know it's gonna slow things down, but since Cakewalk 9 works great with buffering, I believe it can process the analog signal in realtime before writing it to disk
There must be some way to do so...
One thing is sure, Protools does. Why not Cakewalk?

Yes, I see what you mean. This won't work unless the plug-ins are made active pre-recording.

The only alternative is either getting one of the RNC compressors in the loop of your mixer or getting Pro Tools.

One of the RNC's is much cheaper. Try this website http://www.fmraudio.com./

Savat - - i've had the same question and it appears the answer is no. I recently bought an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96. One of the reasons i went for it is because it has 4 seperate compressors on input - it also has 4 mic pre amps and 4 seperat eq's.

I too wish cakewalk could do it on input.

??? Pro Tools allows for compression on imput?

lD

afaik-- it's technically not possible for the software to compress the signal between the a/d converter and writing to disk. Look at it this way, when the signal goes through the conversion process, it's either below digital zero, or exceeding it. compressing it after the conversion, if the signal came in clipping over 0, will only be compressing a clipped signal.
I've spent some time in several pro tools studios, and never have i seen a pro tools rig be able to compress in the converters (888's, 882's, etc). everyone has either had an outboard pre with a compressor built in, or in the case of the aardvark, a compressor that compresses in the card before the conversion process.
This is only my observation, and not to be taken as gospel truth :)

Looks logical enough. I had never thought about it this way. But how about effects, such as distortion. Do you think it's possible to render such kind of effects while recording? I'm asking 'cause I've been told Tech21 released or will release a preamp plugin working in realtime recording. Since I'm sceptical about it, I asked.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Middleman:
If you set up the audio effect as a master channel effect (aux bus effect) you can do this. You can set up to 4 of these effects (maybe more - sorry I am not in the program right now) from the Audio Options menu.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want the effects while reccording... but i liked the idea of use the effect just to listen while i record....

How do i set up the audio effect as a master channel effect (aux bus effect)???

Thanks

Sorry Scratsh, this won't work while recording. Plug-ins only work after the fact as everyone has pointed out here. :mad

You have two choices:
1. Put the effect only on a single audio track that has already been recorded.

2. Put the effect in the Aux Bus for use by any audio track.

To use effects in real time either recording to the track or just for monitoring while you record you need an external mixer and external hardware effects.

I can live without almost any effect while doing the initial recording, that is, except reverb. Having reverb in the recording phase is almost a must in my book.

Savat, is there a website for Tech21? I would like to see what they have on this.

Hail Middleman !! Is that a Living Collor song ? :)

Well... i have a (i don't want to start another makie/behringer fight... :)) Behringer MX2004A, it have 2 aux bus... but i don't have no external effects... do you know a good reverb and a good compressor ?

I use above 12 aux buses together while mixing on cakewalk.... jus't recently i discover that send as a new channel is a good way... but ho to i process, something like a stereo verb to 2 new tracks ? (JUST THE REVERB, not the original track)....

Well... i will put it on a new Topic... :)

There is a compressor called the RNC -stands for Really Nice Compressor - that eveyone is raving about. I have read reviews that say it sounds like a $3000 compressor. Here's the best part, it's only $180 bucks off the RNC site. Here is the link.

As far as reverb goes, it turns out many of the direct-x plug-in reverbs sound better than units costing up to $500 stand-alone external.

I use the reverb out of a guitar effect just for monitoring when I record vocals. But I just record the dry signal. Then I come back with a plug-in to get the final mix.

Sounds weird but it works.

Here is the RNC link http://www.fmraudio.com./

Regarding my alias Middleman it refers to the fact that every band I ever plaid I was stuck in the middle next to the drummers crash cymbal. Lost some hearing in my left ear for that mistake.

Chow...

Back