Please Help Us little ppl

Axe Shredder

I AM also a new cakewalk pro 9 user.
im recording audio from my guitar to amp to mic to yamaha mixer then to sound blaster live card. My playback isnt that great it is not loud enough for my liking. does anyone know what the main contributing factor is to make louder recordings. also im having trouble with timing. I will play a a bar and it might be slightly off so i t makes it impossible to cut&paste or add layers. Isnt there a way to make audio fit?
also, for certain rythms i cant seem to find the right timing adn beats per measure & stuff it just doesnt work out nomatter if i play it in timing i cant get it to end where it is supposed to so i can properly cut and paste . please PLEASE HELP ME . A TUTORIAL WOULD ALSO BE NICE.

First off, louder isn't always better. You need to leave yourself some mixing headroom. You can always bring up the total mix level during the final mixdown with compression or, GOD forbid . . normalization, which I still use if my levels are consistent. If you are getting terribly low volumes, however, it might be a problem. Work with mic placement and your level settings.
As far as timing goes, I usually find my percussion first in MIDI and play to that. This way it is next to impossible to be off in timing. If you are playing guitar or bass to an opening with no drums, simply place a MIDI track into the intro measures, record your guitar, and then delete the MIDI clip. Your guitar is now alone in the Mix and in perfect time.You can also set your tempo beforehand using the MIDI track to guide you.
If you are trying to work backwards, meaning, playing guitar and trying to fit it to a tempo . . . good luck . . . it's difficult, but if you are talented at keeping time, you can match up the waves to the beats . . . ¼ notes, ½ notes, etc. by experimentation. Just don't let cakewalk stretch your audio when you adjust the tempo. Hope this helps.

PAPicker

axe, if the tempo is set where you want it and your measures are just a bit to long or short there is a tool under EDIT|fit to time. you can shrink or stretch the audio. I've had mixed results doing this with PA 8 but hopefully they've improved the tool with 9.

BTW there is a tutorial, explained in the manual about stretching/shrinking audio, i think its called RadioSpot

rhoadz

Thanks ill be sure to try that. I have some more questions, that i need answers from u the pro's. I am looking to upgrade my whole recording setup i.e. new sound card hardware etc. I am curruntly just using an mixer then to soundcard. But i think ther is specific I/o i can get for computer recording, if so what brand is good as well as what are thee best soundcards money is no object. I have heard greatly about CreamWare hard and soft ware and soundcards. is this a good company (the best?). I want to be able to get perfect recordings cd quality so when i record lost of songs and want to burn them to cd. They sound good and loud wiht no clippin etc. Pleas tell me what i need to do this , like what kind of card ,i/o , software, etc. Also is there a way to convert guitar audio into computer then convert it to midi?? so its easier to manipulate?? ex. snap and fit click and paste riffs etc. thanks much appreciated.

confused musician.

Back