Pitch-Shifter Sounds Different After Recording?

Inspired

While playing something on the guitar with SONAR's Pitch-Shifter effect, it sounds fine with Input Monitoring. But when I record something with the Pitch-Shifter effect, and play it back, it sounds totally different. The original sound that you hear while recording goes away after it's been recorded (if that makes sense). What could be causing this? Delay sounds fine when recorded.

Last edited:
Wow, nobody else has had this problem with SONAR's Pitch-Shifter?

All of the other effects record fine. Why does the Pitch-Shifter not sound right after being recorded? Mind-blowing...

I don't use the pitch-shifter on the way in - I apply it afterwards or just play it in a different position and layer tracks...

I have seen some instances where I have mucked up the routing of my sound card when also using Input Monitoring in Sonar. This meant that instead of just hearing Sonar's output from Input Monitoring, I was hearing that PLUS the normal monitor mix from my soundcard. This meant I was getting the effect through Input Monitoring plus some of the original dry signal from my soundcards monitor mix.

Changing the routing on my soundcard to just hear stuff produced from the application fixed the problem.

To test my theory, copy the track and turn off the FX. Zero the volume of the copied track and just play the pitch shifted track. Slowly dial in the new dry track's volume and see if you can make it sound like what you remember hearing.

If my theory is right you can either fix the routing issue and re-design your sound or just use that new dry track to fake what you heard originally.

Ciao,

Q.

I've often wondered if I don't have my soundcard's routing at the most optimal settings. It works, but certain effects really seem to sound totally different after a recording. I use M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 with Sonar. What's the best way to have it routed, and what should the Options-Audio within Sonar be set to as a result?

I am not directly familiar with the control panel for that card so I am not sure how it handles routing... On mine, it is the difference between having the output of the card using what they call a "Monitor Mix" whereas to get input monitoring working properly, I need to point the output back to what they call "Playback from Application - and then a choice of the three outputs for my card"...

Again - I am not saying this is definately the case - just the only thing I can think of which isn't just "It's a bug in the plugin...."

Ciao,

Q.

Back