Pitch changes when recording Audio

brodiej

When recording Audio it sounds like a tape slowing down and speeding up! How is this possible with digital? I've tried all the advanced audio settings but cant fix this. Have a pIII 667, 512Megs SB live so wouldn't have thought the PC performance was the issue. Recording at 44Khz 16bit.

Make sure that you have your sound card selected as your record and playback timing masters within Cakewalk.

yup, check that the timing master is your sound card...

then make sure that any other audio gear you have is slave syncing to your sound card.

then make sure that your soundcard isn't recording in 48khz and playing back in 44.1khz.

also when you are recording, make sure that cake is either in sole control of your audio drivers, or that it plays well with anything you have running (although i think that option only comes in sonar).
then make sure that you have caching disabled. since audio is streamed from disk to app, you don't want read caching activated.
if nothing else seems to work, make sure that your sound card isn't sharing with any other peripheral.

if it stills seems to stutter, then investigate the following:

1) faster hard drive.
2) more memory
3) better sound card (this might be 1 and not 3, but i've never used SB)

Also make sure you have chosen Audio as your Clock source in the Project Options dialog box.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge, and SONAR Power! books; Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of BBE Sonic Maximizer and learn more cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Back