Per Project audio folders

davexxxxx

Does anyone use the "per project audio folders" option in global options that create separate folders for each cakewalk project?? If so is there any advantage?? disadvantage??

Just putting in my 2 cents..

Per Project Folders rocks!!!!

Why would you use it? Well, if you don't, all your audio gets stored in your audio data folder (where it might be if you don't know about it), so if you leave your defaults and format your OS disk you loose all audio... saving as a bundle file can corrupt, which means you have to rename it to wav and line it all up again.. per project folder, all the files in one location, and if anything corrupts it would only be one track or the mix..

Daniel

isn't per project "audio" files only for the audio...

it will store your midi else where..

With this in mind...
how does it make backing up files easier?

When you write MIDI data, depending on how you save it as there are 2 ways. 1) Save it as a straight MIDI file, so not audio data is required therefor you don't need to save 'per project', 2) MIDI in your project, will be saved as CWP and will be in the root of the 'Per Project Folder', and you will still have the audio folder.

So, to save MIDI by itself is a totally different ball game as such.

As for making it easier to back up:

If you are backing up a large Bundle file, if it is over 800MB and you don't have a DVD burner, you would be stuffed, however if it were 'per project' you could write the files individually etc.

And as I mentioned above the 'store your eggs in one basket' type comment if the file corrupts.

Depending on how you look at it might be easier or harder, but for me it just makes sense... :rolleyes:

Hope that makes sense,

Daniel

I guess I didn't realize that the midi files were stored in the actual .cwp project file...

I have my files set up as per project files..

sry to thread-jack - but I don't understand why you would bother converting your midi to audio... it plays the same.. does it not?

Guitars2k4 said:
sry to thread-jack - but I don't understand why you would bother converting your midi to audio... it plays the same.. does it not?
It depends on what you are using for your midi sounds.

If you're using DXi's there is no real need to convert. However, if you are using hardware (sound card or external source) you will need to convert to audio in order to be able to export a wave file that includes the midi.

Guitars2k4 said:
midi files

That's where the confusion lies.. MIDI data is stored in the CWP file, but as per above, you can also save it as .MID :-), but that won't contain any 'mix' type data.

Daniel

Back