PA9 Multi-track playback synch problem

JimKelly_in_wa

I have a relatively new system consisting of:

Laptop running Win/XP
Cakewalk, Pro Audio 9 V9.03
Motu 828 connected via Firewire
Yamaha 01V digital mixer

I run 8 channels of ADAT from the 01V (via optical) to the 828 and then (via Firewire) into the laptop and into PA9. There are another 8 ADAT channels going back on this path from the laptop through the 828 to the 01V. I previously used a very similar configuration, except that I used a desktop and a Motu 2408.

I am encountering a playback problem on my laptop configuration that I never had on my desktop system. When I play back several PA9 channels to different ADAT ports, all but the highest numbered ADAT port are not synched correctly. For instance, if I have the following configuration in console view:

Pa9 Ch ---> ADAT Port
1 --> ADAT 1-2
2 --> ADAT 7-8
3 --> ADAT 3-4
4 --> ADAT 5-6

On playback, only channel 2 (going to ADAT 7-8) will play correctly. All other channels are fed out (synched to each other) about 1.5 seconds too early. If I delete channel 2, then only the channel going out ADAT 5-6 plays correctly. I have found that only the channels being sent out the highest numbered ADAT port play correctly, all others play too early.

Some experimentation has produced the following information:

> The problem only exists if I am configured to permit simultaneous playback and record. If I turn that off, then everything plays just fine.

> If I send all PA9 channels out the same ADAT Port, then everything plays fine.

>Moving the same project to my desktop system, and running it through the 2408, I do not have this problem.

I have run the wave profiler.
I originally had this problem in PA9 V9.00, so I upgraded to V9.03.

Any insights into what might be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Kelly
Seattle, WA

Back