Ozone stopped working with Sonar. HELP!!!!

flex4God

I have a very strange problem and if anyone could lend any insight it would be much appreciated. Let me start out by saying that I am a computer science major, so I am pretty computer savy. I have been trying to get this resolved for the better part of 4 days with no success. So I have tried all the obvious stuff. I have been on the phone with tech support from Sweetwater, M-Audio, and Geek Squad. Here's the deal.

I have a VPR Matrix laptop model 220 A5 running Windows XP Home edition SP2 that I have been happily using with my M-Audio Ozone and Sonar 3.1.1 Producer Edition for many months now, getting rather decent recordings. Until one day it dropped out and would not drop back in. I tried a few things, then called Sweetwater tech support. They helpd me fix it by "fixing" the USB drivers which did not say 2.0 in the device manager, but did after we applied a new driver available from VPR Matrix's website. This seemed to fix the problem for a while. Then later it happened again, and then it happened more and more frequently, to the point where it is now completely unusable. I called tech support, I have swapped out my Ozone for new one. That did not fix the problem. I flattened my laptop and started over with Windows XP Home edition, and tried like at least 10 ways of installing (without service packs, with SP1, with SP2, etc....) and still can not get the recording to work smoothly. I tried it on my roomates computer who has Windows XP home edition and I got the same behaviour there. I tried it on my friend's computer who has XP Pro edition, and THAT WORKED!!

The problems I am getting include, but are not limited too..

lots of dropouts, both on the recording and listening end
unexplained bursts of noise
unexplained constant noise
Sonar forcing the driver back 44.1 khz 16 bit when it should be capable of 48 khz 24 bit

This is now happening ALL THE TIME and I can not record at all.

Please keep in mind that this all used to work perfectly, I even used to be able to get 96 khz in and out at 24 bit simultaneously, which the ozone manual says should not work.

Please help!!

Back