Outing to Delta 1010LT Master Mix vs. Sonar Master Mix

mbouteneff

Here's a quick question -- I use Sonar 3, and currently, when I create an audio track, the "OUT" defaults to analog out 1 & 2. I use the M-Audio Delta 1010LT soundcard, which includes its own Audio Panel.

Here's the question -- should I keep the outs going to the default destination, which is Analog Out 1 & 2, or should I switch them to "Master" within Sonar? I'm leaning towards doing the latter, since that way I'll be able to see within Sonar's trackview what the Master audio levels are. Then, I'd make the Master Out go to Analog 1 & 2.

Is there anything wrong with doing that? Will it have any affect on audio quality or playback ability? (I haven't seen any yet, but am not sure if I'm missing something.)

Thanks!

-MikeB

mbouteneff said:
...should I switch them to "Master" within Sonar? I'm leaning towards doing the latter, since that way I'll be able to see within Sonar's trackview what the Master audio levels are. Then, I'd make the Master Out go to Analog 1 & 2.
Yes.

You should create a Master Bus and route your tracks to the Master (or to sub-busses, which can then be routed to the Master), then route the Master to your hardware destination. This will allow you to monitor and control the summed output to insure you are not reaching 0db.

It also has the advantage of allowing you to slap an effect on the Master if you have something you want to use on ALL tracks (e.g., a limiter or compressor, or some polishing reverb).

dachay2tnr said:
Yes.

You should create a Master Bus and route your tracks to the Master (or to sub-busses, which can then be routed to the Master), then route the Master to your hardware destination. This will allow you to monitor and control the summed output to insure you are not reaching 0db.

It also has the advantage of allowing you to slap an effect on the Master if you have something you want to use on ALL tracks (e.g., a limiter or compressor, or some polishing reverb).
Yes, then maybe another buss called mixes'; Assigned to your same default hardware/monitor out, this on is kept 'clean and at 'zero and is the one you check and playback your 'bounced to track' masters on. :)

Great, thanks guys. It's almost funny I didn't notice the discrepency before. Thanks for clarifying!!

Best,

Mike

Back