Out of Memory Error Inserting WAV

David Morrell

Hi from a newcomer.

I'm running CW9 Pro on a Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz with 512MB of RAM under WInXP.

CW9 is behaving fine except when I try to insert some WAV format files.

Some 44.1kbps 16 bit files insert OK, while others produce an 'Out Of Memory' error.

I've made sure that the Audio option for the project is set up for 16 bits all round at 44.1 kpbs.

This occurs even on a brand new project, where the offending WAV is the only kid on the block.

I read somewhere that the WAV format was developed from AIFF by Microsoft and that it has been tweaked over time to become somewhat less than a true standard. Could this be the issue, and if so, what to do about it?

Or any other bright ideas?

Hi,

Look at the bottom right of the screen in Sonar, and look out the disk % of free space. It might be that your hard drive is full. you can also check by right clicking on the C: icon.

Lapieuvre

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Cakewalk 9, not Sonar, though your idea would still apply. However, there's disk space and RAM to burn.

Since posting this question I have found that I can fix the problem by using DART Pro (an audio restoration app) to convert the WAV file to raw PCM and back to WAV. This strips off the WAV file header, leaving only the audio data, then writes the header back again. I assume that Cakewalk is fussy about the header on a WAV file. The WAV's that were causing a problem had been converted from MP3. I guess that DART writes headers that CW is happy with, while the MP3 converter does not.

So, problem solved. Hope someone else benefits from this experience. ;)

A lot of programs (like Acid) have bastardized the .wav format and can cause problems, particularly with older apps like cwpa9. You've already found the solution to most of these issues: open in a wav editor and resave (or whatever it takes to rebuild the header).

Back