Older version of Sonar and Win XP

PorterHouse

Hello everyone I am new to this board and I am looking forward to contributing to this site as well as getting some answers answered.

I do home recording as well as everyone eslse here.
I came to this board by way of a friend.

I have been DJing for the past 26 years and I am just getting into all that technology has to offer with sound recording.

I am using Reason 2.5 and the sonicfoundry softwares to complete diferent projects.

Enough about myself and now I will just ask for help.

I have been using Sonar 2.0 for a while now and have not upgraded to cakewalk's newer version 3.0.

Anyways I just built a new pc that has windows XP and my sonar is not loading up.

When I try to install the program a message appears and says it could not find Direct x 8.1.

I went to the directx site and they only have directx 9.0 available for Windows XP. So I down loaded it as if that would cure my problem. Still the the same problem.

I can firgure this out for the life of me.

Has anyone had or even know of this problem I am having?

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

PorterHouse,

Sonar 2 requires that DirectX 8.1 is to be installed on teh system, it won't install with DirectX 9 (which I'm assuming that is what you are running atm), until you run the link on this site:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/DX9.ASP

Sonar 3 prompts you to install DirectX9, however I'm 95% sure it works on DirectX8 :D

Porter

It's on the CD and if it is not installed, it will prompt to install it.

The cracked version of 2.0 that I found prior to buying 2.0 XL, does not include the DirectX binaries and will not install without them.

Porterhead - I apologise if I have got you wrong. Contact Cakewalk support and they will get you working inside ten minutes.

Either way, upgrade to 3.0 and do yourself a favour. The bus-routing capabilities are worth it by themselves.

Q.

I know, I was a bad, bad man but the devil made me do it.

It was a hard, hard time in my life. My wife had run off and my dog had left me. My truck wouldn't start and I had run out of ammo for my gun.

And it was in that moment of weakness that Beelzebub himself came to smite me down with his wrath. He held my trembling mouse hand, showed me how to load Kazaa and made me do it, Moskus. He Made ME!!

But in this, my time of trouble, Mother Mary came to me and speaking words of wisdom - Piracy, Insanity.

I saw the light and was saved!

:) Q.

Sonar won't install DirectX 8.1 on top of DirectX 9.0.

Porter has the answer. You need a patch so that Sonar will recognize and install when DX 9 is present.

Back