Old Cakewalk backups

TripleM

I use Reaper now, but years ago I used Sonar (v4 I think). I have old backups from back when you had to do them thru bundles. I'd like to restore a couple of them. But Sonar v4 won't install on any Windows version past XP. I can't get at the WAV files because they're in the bundle. Does anyone know if there is a way around this?

You can download and install the newest version of Cakewalk by BandLab, it's free now, it should be able to open old bundle files.

It may be possible to get your old version of Sonar running on windows 10 with some limitations, but functional enough to bounce out the audio tracks from your bundle files.

Do you still have your original install disks?

You can download and install the newest version of Cakewalk by BandLab, it's free now, it should be able to open old bundle files.

It may be possible to get your old version of Sonar running on windows 10 with some limitations, but functional enough to bounce out the audio tracks from your bundle files.

Do you still have your original install disks?

Hey thanks. I'll look into the BandLab verison. And yes I have my original install disks. I have a Win 10 laptop, so I'll see if it will install.

If it doesn't want to install, try this..

Insert the install disk and if the auto-run starts up, cancel it.

Navigate into the disk and find the Sonar 4 folder, inside there you should find the "Setup" file, right click on it and then select "Properties", and then on the Compatibility Tab set the installer to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3, this should get the installer running for you.

I've had no luck at all getting the old VST wrapper to work correctly on Windows 10, and some of the old DX plugins are very difficult to remove from the computer, doing so requires very carefully going though the computer's registry to delete them, it's a MAJOR PITA!

I would recommend doing an advanced install and just installing the core program, this should allow you to open your bundle files and bounce out the audio tracks.

Hey thanks. I'll look into the BandLab verison. And yes I have my original install disks. I have a Win 10 laptop, so I'll see if it will install.

Have you had any luck with this? I'm also interested in restoring some of my old BUN files from SONAR XL.

The BandLab thing didn't work out. It didn't recognize the .CWB file format. I didn't try a .BUN file. But I'm guessing if it didn't recognize .CWB, it's not going to recognize a .BUN file either.

I haven't had a chance to try to install Sonar v4 on a Win 10 machine yet.

Update.

I tried installing from the original disc on a Win 10 machine with no luck. The install just stops. I changed the install file to run in XP compatibility mode - same thing, doesn't install.

Hi. I have the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab and can open projects from as far back as Pro Audio 9, (and SONAR 2XL) without any issues.
The only thing is that it's all 64 bit, so the 32-bit Dxi's (if used) will not load.
Give it a go. It is the full SONAR Platinum, without some of the 3rd party plugins, plus added a lot of bug fixes.
All the best.

Back