Ok, now sonar is in the House

Middleman

Professional Amateur
Thought I would start a new thread as the other one was drifting.

Sonar 3 First impressions:

3 Disks for the Producer version, Big book. Cool and Professional looking stuff.

Contains… a lot of samples…Drum Works, Dry Studio Kit, Percussion Kit, Bass Guitars, Electric Guitars, Phat to Phreaky (it says these are essential tools for today’s remixers and producers, YO! Justin Timberlake’s producer uses them, they must be good)

Disk 1: Cool music at start up screen, Livesynth Pro SE is included, for those who were concerned.

The VST install was weird but that’s because I don’t have any VST plugs at this time. Slight hiccup but the install made it through.

Main interface: Loaded my best tracks from the previous version of Sonar.

Track too loud, my ears…Ok they moved the master buss volume control. Found it. Well, my first concern. The track sounds different than in Sonar 2. It’s more in your face with a lot more presence. This could be because my plug ins did not come across correct.

Nope, everything came in fine. It sounds slightly different, to the point that I would have to make some EQ changes to get the same sound as before. The new sound is clearer I should point out, more detailed which is good. But, expect some alterations.

The new console is excellent, I mix in track view but this could make me switch back. Nice separate views of track, submix and master outs.

The Lexicon plug in. It’s good. It’s real good. I have a TC Electronics M1 hardware unit and it’s almost there, I need to spend more time on it but initial impressions are it is an excellent addition.

The VSampler registration is also weird. A DQ ice cream cone to those who can type it right the first time. Then you need to wait until they send you a key. When they ask for your key do not use the serial number. You have to copy and paste the information in the text file attached to the email. Thought I would share to save you some time.

VSampler is its own animal so I am not going into my experience with it. It’s a very powerful piece of software. Note: Powerful as in suck your life and time to learn it. If you want some simple soundfonts, go the Livesynth route. My personal opinion.

All the Cakewalk plug ins are the same unless they have modified the algorithms. This was kind of a disappointment. I was hoping for some updates here. However the Ultrafunk stuff pretty much covers this area and you will end up using most of their plugs, trust me. The old cakewalk limiter does come in handy though.

The routing options are going to take some time to learn. They are numerous if not daunting at this point but like Sonar 2 it takes time to come up to speed.

Overall impression. Lot’s of new stuff to learn but you can get right up to speed if you know Sonar. The audio engine sound will take some getting used to it does sound definitely more detailed in the upper mids and high end. I like it.

If you have the Ultrafunk R3 versions the Multiband and Compressor will disappear under Ultrafunk plug ins. They are available now under Sonitus plug ins. Not sure why this was done but maybe they upgraded them or RC3 versions were not compatible. Cakewalk Guy, any answers on this?

Disk 2: If you are getting the idea this is an epic, the end is near

This disk contains the Vsampler Soundbanks. The acoustic guitar sounds excellent. Rather than rant and rave, let each one find his sound. Top notch stuff though.

Disk 3: A little surprise for those of you seeking the ultimate piano; the disk is full of several versions of them. The disk is titled Piano Lifeforms. There are some top notch piano samples on this disk that rival my Giga sampler files. I could have saved $200 on similar samples I just recently picked up. These are real sounding pianos. Very cool surprise.

I am sure there are many more surprises but hey, enough of the review, it’s all about me and I’m going to play awhile. I am anxious to hear others experience.

Enjoy MM

Last edited:
Porter said:
Middleman,

Is there a sound back for Brush Set Drums?

Porter

Not familiar with the term sound back. If you mean, is there a good brush drum set? There are several. Please clarify?

Middleman said:
Not familiar with the term sound back. If you mean, is there a good brush drum set? There are several. Please clarify?

Opps... meant Sound bank when referring to the V-Sampler, but you knew what I was referring to... I don't know why I like brush drums so much??? :D

Porter

Does it sound better, or is it wishful thinking or maybe your imagination? If it does, really, then thats worth the upgrade alone. I want to see how many people agree with your sound findings.
I am dying to go ahead and order this but I was waiting on the verdict.
Guess maybe I might order it tomorrow.

MM...

Could you possible post a 20 second clip of the same song from both versions for us to hear the differences?

Porter

tubedude said:
Does it sound better, or is it wishful thinking or maybe your imagination? If it does, really, then thats worth the upgrade alone. I want to see how many people agree with your sound findings.
I am dying to go ahead and order this but I was waiting on the verdict.
Guess maybe I might order it tomorrow.

Aaahhh, now, "better" is a relative thing. I said it was different, more detailed.

After about 3 hours on it and about 8 different mixes, just checking it out, S3 is definitely pushing more bass and upper mid range than Sonar 2. Whether others find that better is up to them.

I said I liked it, the reason being is that I am hearing more stuff across the spectrum so they must have made some changes to how the engine operates. That's my monitors and my mixes so there are some variables here.

It is not wishful thinking or my imagination though, there is definitely a difference in the sound of the files and actually some are rather grainy sounding so I am having to see what's going on there.

I don't think it's as big a jump from 2 to 3 as from Cakewalk Pro to Sonar however. Just a lot of nice features that will be incorporated into my efforts over time.

If you need some negativity though, VSampler did not install right because I had a prior version and so I had to hand wipe the old version to get the new one to work. It shows up in Sonar but not on the programs menu as stand alone, which it should.

This is not a revolutionary difference but just some nice new features. The drum sounds, Lexicon and inline EQ are really nice. The confidence recording is nice too, you can see if a file is actually recording vs. waiting to see if it recorded after a take. There is also an input monitoring switch on each track and built in loop back control.

Last edited:
Porter said:
MM...

Could you possible post a 20 second clip of the same song from both versions for us to hear the differences?

Porter

Not until Monday, I am leaving on vacation to Cancun tomorrow and have to put down my toys and start packing.

I will put something together next week though.

Middleman said:
Not until Monday, I am leaving on vacation to Cancun tomorrow and have to put down my toys and start packing.

I will put something together next week though.

Man, some people have all the luck! Cancun and Sonar in his hot little hands!

Bastard!

;) Q

Yeah, I'm taking the manual with me on the plane. Hopefully by the time I get back I will have it figured out.

Yeah! The best way to read a manual is when you're nowhere near your new equipment! Then you actually read the damn thing... :D

Back