Now Using A Solid State Drive

nsureit

I just installed a 1TB SSD in my Dell Inspirion recording laptop. It has an i7 processor, tons of RAM, and is dedicated solely to recording with little or no bloatware.

I have always recorded tracks to an external USB HD, as recommended, to keep a discrete separation of the SONAR OS from the project. However, since I now have a huge solid state HD, do I need to use a separate HD for recording the project's tracks?

Thank you for reading this post.

BTW, I use SONAR Platinum, latest version with Windows 10.

Cheers!

You might want to continue to use the external drive for storage and archiving of your projects. With an SSD, you'll be able to run a ton of tracks.

Or, if your inspiron has a DVD drive, you can buy a hard drive caddy and put a 2nd hard drive in your laptop. Like THIS

You might want to continue to use the external drive for storage and archiving of your projects. With an SSD, you'll be able to run a ton of tracks.

Or, if your inspiron has a DVD drive, you can buy a hard drive caddy and put a 2nd hard drive in your laptop. Like THIS
You will want to continue to use...
At least one back-up..
Thank us later :>)

I have always recorded tracks to an external USB HD, as recommended, to keep a discrete separation of the SONAR OS from the project. However, since I now have a huge solid state HD, do I need to use a separate HD for recording the project's tracks?!

For recording, ditch the USB. Do everything on the SSD.

As mentioned, the USB drive gets relegated to backup duty. I keep the audio files with the project folder/file, so I can just copy them to my secondary drive when I'm done for the day.

Some daw makers warn against recording to the system drive but I've never had issues doing so with SSD.
I'd record to the SSD system disc and use the USB for backup as the other guys have said.

Back