Newbie Help Needed

Stevo7

Hello. I'm new to homerecording and Cakewalk. I am having trouble recording. When I record in cakewalk all I get is a soft distorted guitar sound. I know its not my soundcard because when I just play through the speakers it sounds good but when in cakewalk when I record it sounds really bad. What should I do?

Thanks alot for the help,
Steve

Stevo7 said:
Hello. I'm new to homerecording and Cakewalk. I am having trouble recording. When I record in cakewalk all I get is a soft distorted guitar sound. I know its not my soundcard because when I just play through the speakers it sounds good but when in cakewalk when I record it sounds really bad. What should I do?

Thanks alot for the help,
Steve

Do you have a preamp between your guitar and your soundcard (have to have one)? And what input jack did you use? Line in? Mic In? Or is your card a multiple input jobbie? Is the right one selected as a recording source in your sound card's control panel? And has that been selected in your Cakewalk track before you started recording?

I don't want to overload you with details you don't need, and I may be stating something obvious that you already know, but can't tell from your brief and general post, so this is a starting point. Can you post more detail about how you're connected (signal chain)?

We used our old 4-track as a preamp, when we first started down the path to digital recording on our computer, until we were ready to take the plunge and start spending some money on it. It worked.

I have my guitar plugged into a guitar amp and I have the amp output plugged into the Line in of my sound card. I have everything selected correctly in the control panel. I know my sound card is fine because It sounds really good when I unmute the input on my control panel and I can play through my computer speakers. But Cakewalk doesn't seem to be picking up the same signal.

Thanks.

Ignore the D.I. then.

There has to be a routing issue with the flow of the signal into Sonar. What's your sound card, how is it configured are you using input monitoring.

Q.

Back