Thread: Newbie Help Needed

Thanks

Newbie Help Needed

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello. I'm new to homerecording and Cakewalk. I am having trouble recording. When I record in cakewalk all I get is a soft distorted guitar sound. I know its not my soundcard because when I just play through the speakers it sounds good but when in cakewalk when I record it sounds really bad. What should I do?

Thanks alot for the help,
    Steve

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo7
    Hello. I'm new to homerecording and Cakewalk. I am having trouble recording. When I record in cakewalk all I get is a soft distorted guitar sound. I know its not my soundcard because when I just play through the speakers it sounds good but when in cakewalk when I record it sounds really bad. What should I do?

Thanks alot for the help,
    Steve
    Do you have a preamp between your guitar and your soundcard (have to have one)? And what input jack did you use? Line in? Mic In? Or is your card a multiple input jobbie? Is the right one selected as a recording source in your sound card's control panel? And has that been selected in your Cakewalk track before you started recording?

I don't want to overload you with details you don't need, and I may be stating something obvious that you already know, but can't tell from your brief and general post, so this is a starting point. Can you post more detail about how you're connected (signal chain)?

We used our old 4-track as a preamp, when we first started down the path to digital recording on our computer, until we were ready to take the plunge and start spending some money on it. It worked.

Thanks
    What he said, plus a D.I. box.

Q.
    <insert something witty here>

Thanks
    I have my guitar plugged into a guitar amp and I have the amp output plugged into the Line in of my sound card. I have everything selected correctly in the control panel. I know my sound card is fine because It sounds really good when I unmute the input on my control panel and I can play through my computer speakers. But Cakewalk doesn't seem to be picking up the same signal.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Ignore the D.I. then.

There has to be a routing issue with the flow of the signal into Sonar. What's your sound card, how is it configured are you using input monitoring.

Q.
    <insert something witty here>

Thanks
    My soundcard is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I don't know what input monitoring is.

Thread Information