newbie with Cakewalk Home Studio

diane

Hi I'm new to pc recording. I've been using Cakewalk home studio. I just bought a new card, a motu 2408. Now I want to learn more about editing the music files themselves. Should I upgrade to Cakewalk Pro? What will it do for me that home studio won't? What about effects like reverb? Does Pro do more in that arena?

thanks!

This is a very good question and since I had no idea what the differences are I flew over to the Cakewalk site and found this page:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Version9chart.htm

which shows you exactly. Now, as far as I am concerned, most of the differences will mean little to most people. The biggest question I had was whether or not Home Studio supported DirectX plugins and the answer is yes. So it can do almost everything that Pro can do. But I also see that it doesn't support multiple I/O sound cards like the MOTU 2408, so I guess to get the full benefit of your new hardware you should either move up to Cakewalk Pro or move down to n-track :-)

It sounds like Cakewalk Home Studio would be great for people with only a "normal" sound card though.

So it would appear that if I want more capability in terms of effects I should check out the Fx plug-ins? Is it me or are the built in effects a little limited in terms of presets?

I have FX1, 2 , and 3. They are somewhat limited but my biggest complaint is that the
presets are pretty useless. Most of them are overkill. I don't know of any style of
music that uses such wet reverbs and delays. Use of these types of presets are sure
to muddy up even the best of recordings. On the upside, they sometimes give you
a good starting point and you can adjust from there. I like the FX 1 and 3 the most. In that order.

As for the Pro Audio 9... I use it and it's much better than the Cakewalk of old. Better
mixdown options (mp3), stereo tracks, lower latency, CPU use meters, and
much better graphics. I use 9 with the Peavey StudioMix console. If you buy the
console you get Pro Audio 9 with it. Good deal. The StudioMix gives you an
automated, programmable console surface with real knobs and faders.
Once you mix with one you won't go without it. Good Luck......pete o

Back