New silly problem in Home Studio 2 XL: "Beta version trial expired" message

Bambi Busboom

Mates,

Below is my thread of the odd problem of selected wavewform flickering on the screen. As there were other issues with impossibly slow operations in my Corel programmes that I could not resolve, I've returned my three week old Compaq SR1170NX and will start again- after some more thorough research.

Compaq, M-Audio, Corel, nor Cakewalk had ever heard of my problems!

Now, while installing Home Studio 2 XL on my old Pentium 750, I received an error message, "Beta version trial expired". I continued the installation and HS2 seems to start. I am installing from original disks from a sealed, unregistered retail box from a retail music store. I had to register to get technical wupport and my copy was accepted. I was told by Cakewalk my copy is a recent version.

I'm assuming this message was triggered by the number of days I had HS 2 installed-some kind of timier that cripples the program after a certain period.

I haven't gotten my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 setup yet, but I can see already from playing with old recordings to test the HS, that there is a problem in HS with the reverb effects unavailable.

There are no current patches or updates for HS 2 as they are getting ready fro HS3.

Has anyone else seen this message, and what's going on? This "beta trial" message to pop up looks very amatuerish for an established company.

Cheers,

Bambi B

Beta message bug

Strydder,

Thanks very much for the link.

A stupid problem, but at least it's not mine alone in the way my screen problem seemed to be.

In the reply from Cakewalk, you can feel the embarasment with this problem- and they should be sending HS 3 update certificates to HS 2 owners! I would've expected this kind of thing in 1994, but not 2004.

The temporary fix through a key combination is an interesting window into how these programs are developed and the hidden workarounds.

Cheers,

Bambi B

Back