need advice on panning my mix

mikek

Hello, I am trying to pan a mono keyboard track so that it only comes out of the left speaker in my mix. I am recording a keyboard mono into a mixer and then into my delta 66 soundcard using Cakewalk 9. I thought that if I panned my track hard left in the console view that I would only hear it in the left speaker but I can still hear it in the right. What am I doing wrong. Do I need to pan before I record to do this in cake or my soundcard or both? I'm confused.

I have Sonar, so I am not sure if this is the same or not, but, after I select my input device to the left input, then I record the track. Then I move the pan selector to the left. Or you could setup a pan envelope on the mono audio track and have that set to the left. The pan positions appear to only work after I recording the track. I could be wrong, though. Hope this helps...

Vice

Oh yeah, depending on how the sound comes out of your keyboard it would be a good idea to make sure that all the sound comes out of the left output from the keyboard. Some sounds I have have effects coming out of one output while the rest of the sounds comes out of the other. So, I have my mixer pan pots hard left as well...

Vice

I just ran some tests and it seems the only way I can get the mono keyboard to play through the left speaker only is if I record into Cake 9 with my mixer input panned hard left. I initially was recording with my external mixers input straight up the middle and when I tried to pan it left in Cakewalk it would still play in both speakers. So I think I worked it out but just to make sure. Should my external mixer input 1 be panned hard left and input 2 hard right routed into my soundcard the same way? This is probably very basic but I am new to recording. Thanks for feedback

mike

When you say you would put everything to the left, do you mean the left and right inputs of my soundcard? I am running a mono source L into my Delta's 1st input that reads Delta L input 1 in the Cakewalk track set up screen. I have input 2 panned hard right although I am not using it for what I'm explaining in this post. I'm just trying to figure out how my mixer and soundcard should be set up so that I can adjust the panning in Cakewalk and hear the proper results during playback. I was having trouble initially but the settings I described in my previous post seem to be working, I was hoping someone could let me know if this is how it should be done. thanks

Here's what I can offer

If you have a mono track in CW, it doesn't matter what your mixer setting were when you recorded it. You should be able to pan it full left and hear it only in the left speaker.

It sounds to me like you are running it through an auxilary bus or something. That means that the signal is also being sent to the stereo bus (and subsequently to the stereo outs of your soundcard) , and although panning the track full left WILL send the source track full left, you will still hear the stereo bus in both speakers. Get it?

Try removing all effects, and make sure all aux sends on the track in question are turned off. Now play w/ the panning. Any better?

good luck

Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Thanks for the replies. I don't have any busses or effects activated on my tracks but it is doing what I want it to today. It seems my system just needed a reboot after changing the settings. Either that or I had a ghost in there. I'm doing the same thing I was doing yesterday but it is working today. I hate when that happens. Cheers~

Back