My Midi won't work...what do I do?

powderfinger

I have Sonar and am just getting into it for midi and sequencing.......when I open Sonar, it says I haven't selected any Midi outputs, and then prompts me to choose an output.....my only choice is the Microsoft Midi Mapper, but it won't even let me choose that.........how do I get one selected.......do I need more software?

What sound card do you have?

If you double-click a .MID or .RMI file, do your hear any sound? (If double-clicking opens Sonar, manually run MEDIA PLAYER - (from Accessories - Entertainment or something similar) and see if that plays?

If it does play it means that you have a correctly configured software synth set up on your PC - all you would need to do then is tell Sonar what to point it's MIDI output to.

Do you have any other options in Sonar apart from MIDI MAPPER?

Let us know and we will be able to get you cooking pretty quickly!

Ciao,

Q.

quicktime usually brings up .mid files online.........sonar doesn't seem to give that as an option though........I've got a Delta 44...m-audio card

When quicktime brings them up, do you hear anything?

The Delta card does not have a MIDI synth on board which is why you aren't hearing anything when you set it up to use this.

What other options are listed in the MIDI devices under the OPTIONS menu?

If Quicktime does play .MID files with sound, you need to work out what synth it is set up to be using. Look in CONTROL PANEL - MULTIMEDIA and you will see what the defaults are set to. Try emulating these settings under the MIDI devices section under OPTIONS and see what happens.

Good luck,

Q.

powderfinger said:
quicktime usually brings up .mid files online.........sonar doesn't seem to give that as an option though........I've got a Delta 44...m-audio card

Quicktime makes use of its own soft synth.

You should be able to select the Delta's MIDI OUT port as well - if it is not on your list of ports, you might want to try re-installing your drivers.

In order to hear MIDI compositions, you do not need to necessarily have a MIDI OUT port selected. All you have to do is set up a DXi soft synth like VSC on an audio channel and route the output of the MIDI track to the soft synth.

Back