Multiple Soundcards in Sonar

mixologist

Hoping for some quick help . . .

I'm running sonar 1.0 XL on Window XP. I'm using a Delta 66 with the Omni Studio box for audio recording. The Delta doesn't suppord midi (so no metronome in Sonar). The PC still has the soundblaster card that it came with and I'm wondering if someone can tell me how to set my machine up to use the Delta for Sonar work and the soundblaster for playing cds and midi (metronome) in sonar.

Anyone know how do do this?

Thanks in advance.

Well, it should work. I run a consumer-grade Yamaha card just for MIDI and metronome, along with an Aardvark Q10. Where it gets complicated is a) routing, because you now have two sets of outputs, and b) timing, because the clocks of the two may be hard or impossible to synchronize. I have disabled the audio on my Yamaha, so that only the Aardvark is recognized for audio.

Another factor is that Soundblasters have a reputation for not playing nicely with other devices...

AGCurry said:
Another factor is that Soundblasters have a reputation for not playing nicely with other devices...

I use Delta 66 and have a Soundblaster Audigy lying unused in a drawer. I too heard Soundblaster had problems coexisting with other soundcards, so I never even tried. But if someone has better experience with this setup, I certainly have some uses for the Audigy. Could use the extra SP/DIF and an extra midi (use the onboard midi at the moment).

I don't know if you will have a conflict between the two cards, but the way you will want to setup in order to play cd's through soundblaster is, to go into you Windows control panel, and on sound and audio devices, set the default player to your soundblaster, not the delta. Then go into Sonar, and under options, audio, select only the delta inputs and outputs, and disable the soundblaster. Then under midi, set the midi in and out to be the soundblaster.

With that setup, all windows sounds, such as windows media player, system sounds and so forth, would be routed out the sound blaster, and sonar would run through the delta. Just make sure you have the outputs from both soundcards plugged into speakers, or you won't hear a thing.

Like I said at the beginning, I don't know if the two cards will have a conflict, but, with that setup the two cards will never be trying to run at the sametime, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Especially if you already have both cards installled on your computer.

Let us know if this works.

Good Luck

Back