Moving clips over tempo changes -> how to ?

nephren-ka

I've got a problem with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 :

The tempo of the first 8 measures is 68 BPM. At the 9th measure it changes to 84 BPM. I use only audio (no MIDI). After I'd recorded the intro (8 measures) I wanted to record the verse, which has a faster tempo. I use Cakewalk's metronome and count-in. So this is where the problem arises : If I let the recording begin at measure 9 the count-in is in the correct tempo, but it is possible that a tiny bit of my recording doesn't get recorded because I started playing 1/1000 second before measure 9. So I thought I'd just start recording one measure earlier - but that doesn't work because the count-in is at 68 BPM then - I have to record in a tempo of 84 though.
Ok, another try - why am I using digital recording stuff ? I can move clips ! That's what I thought ! So I started recording in measure 9, but started playing in measure 10. Everything worked fine. After I was done I tried to move the clip to make it start at measure 9, the first wave in the audio window seemed to be aligned under measure 9. However, if I playback the recording it starts earlier, probably measure 8 beat 4 or something like that. When moving the clip I've already tried all options...

How can I fix this ?

Thanks a lot !

Bastian

Perhaps you can insert a bar at bar 9, do your recording starting at 10 then delete bar 9 when happy with the take...just a thought.

cheers
john

Hm, but then there will still be the problem with the start of the recorded wave. It will not sound natural due to it being cut of in its natural attack phase and because a human being can't play exactly like a computer you aren't always exactly in time when recordin (I record guitars). I'd love to have a track with just one bar "silence" and then start playing. The silence would overlap into the slower tempo area unfortunately. Strangely enough when I start recording in bar 10 and move the whole take to start at bar 8 which makes the sound start at bar 9 (remember the one bar silence) - the audio playback is not in sync with the new tempo.

I'm really confused by this thread. If you have tempo changes in the track, and are recording live to it, lisening to the MIDI metronome, well OK, that makes sense. But the tempo changes should not affect the audio clips -- they are not MIDI events. You can stretch audio events to be longer or shorter, but they are what they are once recorded. Why would a tempo change affect them at all? Unless you are somehow stretching the audio tracks when you insert tempo changes? Maybe there's some weird default that does this and it's doing it without your intervention? I don't know.

Or maybe the tempo changes are shifting the time the audio event is triggered -- that is, the moment when it starts? That might be what's happening. There must[i/] be some way to lock the audio events to real time (as you can do with markers to keep them at particular SMPTE times regardless of what you do to tempos.

Yeah, I'm confused as well. I agree with you, AlChuck - that's what it should be, the audio shouldn't be affected by tempo changes. I think I've already tried most of the options available in the move dialogue - but I'll try again. When I find the solution I'll post it.

Do you experience the same in your Cakewalk - I'd really appreciate if you'd try it out with a little test project, if you have the possibility to record audio.

Back