Mix volume

Idgeit

Hey all!

Finally my studio has been set up, and work has begun on my bands first album, everything is sounding great!.

But their is always a little problem :). The one i seemed to be coming across is when we finished up the tracking the over all volumes are a little low, can anyone recommend a software based compressor/limiter for bringing up those levels?

Thanks

- Idgeit

Last edited:
Mix Volume

Hey man ...there are lots of ways you can get the volume of your final mix up ...

i'm fairly new to recording myself but my band has just recorded our demo cd and i have gained a lot of knowledge in the last month or so .....

from wot i've learned there are different ways to get the master volume up...

You can stick a compressor ( i like the antares ranaissance vox) into the master bus which will get the volume up a bit....but depending on the sequencer you are using any sonar has compressors in it which will help....

Classic master limiter this will help get the volume up too but don't be going nuts with it ...or the sound will start to get distorted ...

or you could forget about using a compressor here ...and use software like T-Racks when mastering ....which will help get your voume up while polishing up the mix....

I'm sure theres betters ways to do this than what i've mentioned here....but this is what i have been doing to my mixes lately and it seems to work not Too bad ...

Have you normalized your tracks that have lower signals? Working with normailzed tracks gives you alot more headroom to mix.

no and no.

1) compressors are not for making you louder they are for taming dynamics. the post-compression gain is there so that you don't lose any volume while trying to make those loud moments consistent with the overal track level.

2) dont normalize your tracks. especially in a destructive manner. all you did was move the fader up (in a destructive manner).

if you want HOT volume, then record HOT, and do your best during tracking to play consistently. add compressors to the individual tracks as necessary to tame the dynamics of that track so that it sits in the mix better. once you've mixed the tracks, if you want a louder final mix then go ahead and apply the master limiter of your choice to crush the transients... but as Lurgan said: don't go crazy with it.

Thanks for all your help guys :), anyone know any good mastering limiters for the rack?. Is their a big difference in regular limiters and mastering limiters?

Thanks

- Idgeit

Last edited:
T-Racks Mastering Software

A friend gave me a copy of his T-Racks Mastering Software and it is pretty darn good...

PSP Vintage Warmer is excellent too ...but you can only get the demo version unless you wanna splash out on it ...but it is seriously damn good....

If you want i can email u T-Racks Man...i see you are from Dublin ? i'm From Armagh - Up North ...and i have a band myself ...still new to the whole recording phenomenom ...but gradually learning slowly but surely ....T-racks is class! i've just started to get the hang of it ....

If you want we could exchange idea's and songs and knowledge by email ...Sayin as we're both Irish :D

hey look at it like this....

my friend had it ....he bought it ....and then put it on to my computer the day he bought it just to see what it looked like ....then brought it home and put it on his computer.....

so i can't see how you can call it a pirate copy....hehehehe it just happens to be on my computer ...lucky me :D

lurgan liar said:
hey look at it like this....

my friend had it ....he bought it ....and then put it on to my computer the day he bought it just to see what it looked like ....then brought it home and put it on his computer.....

so i can't see how you can call it a pirate copy....hehehehe it just happens to be on my computer ...lucky me :D

So he forgot to take it when left. Kinda like when a friend forgets his ball cap and you wear it until he wants it back.

crosstudio said:
no and no.

1) compressors are not for making you louder they are for taming dynamics. the post-compression gain is there so that you don't lose any volume while trying to make those loud moments consistent with the overal track level.

2) dont normalize your tracks. especially in a destructive manner. all you did was move the fader up (in a destructive manner).

if you want HOT volume, then record HOT, and do your best during tracking to play consistently. add compressors to the individual tracks as necessary to tame the dynamics of that track so that it sits in the mix better. once you've mixed the tracks, if you want a louder final mix then go ahead and apply the master limiter of your choice to crush the transients... but as Lurgan said: don't go crazy with it.
The only post here of substance.

Back