MIDI track audible in WAV file?

drathbun

I've always understood that a MIDI track does NOT export to a wave file unless you bounce it to an audio track first as MIDI information is not audio. So that's what I've always done... create a MIDI track, bounce it to an audio track and mix to taste before exporting to a WAV file.

Well I just exported a file with a number of audio tracks and one MIDI track that was unmuted. I had NOT bounced it to an audio track to I left it unmuted when I exported to WAV knowing that it wouldn't come out anyway (I didn't want to hear it in the mix at this point anyway).

Low and behold! I have a WAV file with the MIDI sound in it! How did this happen? Did I miss something in upgrading from Sonar 3 to 4?

Assuming you're using a softsynth,there is no need to render your MIDI file to audio.You only need to render the file if you are using a hardware synth.

When you export or bounce,it will play the tracks as if you hit the play button.
You didn't mute it,so it was played on the bounce.

acidrock said:
Assuming you're using a softsynth,there is no need to render your MIDI file to audio.You only need to render the file if you are using a hardware synth.

When you export or bounce,it will play the tracks as if you hit the play button.
You didn't mute it,so it was played on the bounce.
Exactly right. DXi's or VSTi's will export without converting to audio first.

Ok now i'm confused

What was said in this thread regarding rendering midi tracks to WAV or MP3 is consistent with what the Acid Music manual I have says. The problem I keep coming up with is how to use a soft synth. I have the insert soft synth button and there is a DLS soft synth that get's installed when I click it but the ability to render the track is still impaired - menu choice doesn't open up.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

nevermind.......

I just figured it out. There is an ever so tiny icon on the track that lets you assign the midi device for playback. if you pick the softsynth - the render option opens up.

Good thing I'm a newbie, maybe it saved a few weeks of my life!!!!

Hey, that being said. When I do use a soft synth. (Drum or guitar program) I notice some programs settings get saved when you save overall sonar program. Some don't. So you have to remember and reset the settings every time you reopen project. Does this happen to you? Seems a waste of thime.

Albertm said:
Good thing I'm a newbie, maybe it saved a few weeks of my life!!!!

Hey, that being said. When I do use a soft synth. (Drum or guitar program) I notice some programs settings get saved when you save overall sonar program. Some don't. So you have to remember and reset the settings every time you reopen project. Does this happen to you? Seems a waste of thime.

Do you hit save each time you close the project?
If not it will revert back to the last "save".

What you need to know when you render a mix is to select the MIDI track AND the Dxi output track for the mix to be exported.

Back