MIDI -record to audio- latency

James Argo

Fancy Rock N' Roll
I use Soundfont for Drum tracks. Gold Drums. Sequence em in PIII 870, 256MB, 20 GB (System) & 3,2GB (Audio) both 5400 rpm, running SONAR 2 XL, Win XP Home, SB Live! DE 5.1 card, driver WDM from Microsoft. In SONAR's Audio Options, set the mixing latency to 120ms. Sampling rate to 44100Hz, Audio driver Bit depth 16. Synchronization to Full Chase Lock. Finish sequencing, I turn to record 'em to stereo audio file. Arm the track, set the rec source from MIDI, and hit the record button. Nice recorded.
But hey... The longer I record the song, the higher the latency ocur. The result was well sync in the first ones measures, but as the song rolling, the result become more "slided" and I get about 220 tick distance at measure 130. I record on tempo 126. I record again and again after playing around with Audio, Project & Global Setting in Options. Negative. Any idea how to solve this MIDI -record to audio- latency ? Thank's.

I've found this too. It turned out it was the Live!'s WDM-drivers fault. Try to use MME-drivers (Options -> Audio -> Advanced -> Always use MME-interface...).

Or you can load it up in LiveSynth Pro DXi (if you have finnished sequensing the drums) and bounce them to track.

Or the easiest sollution is to get a low latency card (as I did), and get rid of all the Creative-problems.

GoldDrums rule! :D

Golddrums Rule! :D
Thank's for the info Moskus. I've always thought WDM was better driver, but never try to compare 'em. I'll give it a shoot tonite. I'll come back if it works. Thank's buddy. ;)

James,

WDM is supposed to be better, but to be better they have to work, and Creatives drivers doesen't (from time to time). I think that the drivers are poorly written...

Toki,

I found GoldDrums at HammerSound but I also think they're at The Sound Site.

You'll find GoldDrums on this page. The second one on the page.

I really don't trust the ratings on the kits at Hammersound.net, but what'cha gonna do... ;) GoldDrums is the best drumsoundfont around IMHO.

Thank's Moskus...
I think so about WDM Driver. It should be better. I've changed the options to use MME driver instead, but this still doesn't solve my problem. I brought my project to friend's studio, and record it thru Win98SE running CWPA 9.03, and it can be done without any problem noticed. I just think how can my PC with almost prior spec & software couldn't handle this simple task... hmmm... I'll check again what went wrong.
Yes, GoldDrum supose to get 9.9 out of 10 there. This one kick asses... Viva GoldDrums :cool:
Thank's again.

moskus said:
You'll find GoldDrums on this page. The second one on the page.

I really don't trust the ratings on the kits at Hammersound.net, but what'cha gonna do... ;) GoldDrums is the best drumsoundfont around IMHO.
nice tones. Thanks..

GoldDrums

... Oh yeah, check your velocity. When you press the key harder or smoother, it doesn't ONLY change the volume level, but also the tone. It's very usefull when you do dynamic drums line on kick, snare and cymbals for example. Try 'em, you're gonna love it. Check the cymbals... ouuuuchh.... Love this stuff. :cool:

Should we ask Dragon to make GoldDrums Forum ? :D

Back