MIDI Pitch Bending in Sonar Piano Roll?

drathbun

I asked this question in MIDI Mania and received a reply that tells me to insert a pitch wheel event into the event list of the sequencer.

My question now is, how do you create a pitch wheel event in Sonar's Event List window. The help file says I cannot insert velocity events but just edit them. How do I get a pitch wheel event into the list to edit it? I don't have a pitch wheel on my keyboard (connected to my laptop through an EDIROL USB-1 interface).

My reading also tells me that I cannot bend a note more than the range of the pitch wheel and some are less than one octave.

I want to create a MIDI glissando with a fretless bass MIDI instrument.

Any suggestions?

I'm not shure what you wanted to do, but as long as it works.... :D

What have velocity to do with pitch bend? Am I missing something?

moskus said:
I'm not shure what you wanted to do, but as long as it works.... :D

I was reading the Sonar help file and it said "Velocities cannot be inserted but may be edited on existing MIDI events"

Since I hadn't yet noticed the pull-down box which switch from velocity to pitch, I figured pitch couldn't be inserted either. Which, in fact, is true since you insert the note and then affect the pitch with the pitch wheel setting. I've got it now. Actually very easy once you find where the window and the setting is.

Pitch can be inserted and changed independent of notes. Velocity is directly related to a midi-note, so it can't be changed independently.

But you know that, right? :)

moskus said:

...It's not actually Pitch Bend. However, some particular synth lets you alter the pitch corespond with velocity sense. Could be multi layered sample or just pitch controlled by velocity...

;)
James

...it would be easy if you're into programable synth like me. Most of Korg synth does it well.. uummhh... aaah, the GoldDrums... I bet we both know it well... have you realised that if you hit the Snare (D key) velocity 99 and below it will trigger different sound sample than if you hit 100 to 114 (I forget but about around 114) ? and if you hit it louder (velocity) than 114 it will trigger another different sound sample ? check 'em out. That could explain multilayered sound sample. Now, subtitute the different dound with different pitch of the same sound (trigger different sample sounding different pitch of same instrument)... that's how it work. In korg thingie, we can set how the velocity pressure related the pitch of the sound generated using Pitch EG...

;)
James

Ah, the GoldDrums multi-layer example did it! I finally got it!

Thanks, James! ;)

[I could mention that I tried the Soundfonts on the Sonar 2 CD and the Sonic Implants Blue Jay Drums sound equally good (to me) as GoldDrums (or maybe even better)....]

Back