Midi faders won't control my Alesis SR16?

scooterr

I can't figure out how to make my Midi faders (console view)
contol the output levels of my Sr16 drum machine.
I can alter velocities via the piano roll view or by manually adjusting properties note by note, this isn't what
I want.
I have a piece of shit riptide card, still installed, but I am using a Layla for my projects. The layla is hooked up to my #1 port. It plays the sr16 fine, I just can't adjust the volume with the slider like I would like for it to do.
I'd be glad to offer more info for anyone willing to assist.
Thanks,Scooter

Hey Scoot

Are you recording patterns or hitting the sr16 pads yourself to record? I don't know if this makes a difference, but to record patterns, I have to set the sr16 midi set up, "Drum in =on, drum out- off; clock in = off, clock out = on" To record hitting the pads, it's just the opposite set up. Then for playback, change the drum in to On. I have Cakewalk 8.0, but the sr16 responds to the midi fader on the console view. Also, you should have a midi connection from the computer to both the midi in and out on the sr16.

Hope this helps.

mutt

Mutt,
Thanks for the reply, I'm not using the 16s patterns, it is just slaved thru my layla, I'm recording the notes with real time record or using the staff veiw and entering them manually, and that all works, it plays them back.
I can alter each notes volume via properties, or in the controller view, and the sr16 responds properly, but adjusting the fader in console view has NO effect on the output. I may be missing some idiotic setting in front of my face, but I really have spent some time trying to fix this. Do you have two sound cards? I'm not sure if that could be messing with me?
Thanks again, Scooter

No I only have the internal sound card. I'm still thinking about your problem. The problem is, I
haven't recorded much lately using the sr16 so I might have forgotten something. I'll get back to
you if I remember anything else.

mutt

Back