Metronome: Can't find a good example

tpresz

I realize this issue has been (ha ha) "beat" to death but:

I can't figure out how to set up a midi track to play the metronome.
I'm a guitar player and I've only been using the audio tracks in SONAR.

I had a good walk through from doctordale at one time but I lost it and since had to reformat.

It was something like setting a blank audio track with a synth in the effects -or something?

Sound familiar to anyone?

I need a real hand holding here. I have a feeling I'm not alone.
Thanks in advance
tim

It's just dumber than you think.

Forget tracks and all that stuff - go to OPTIONS-MIDI and ensure your 1st output device points to a sound card with a MIDI synth output or an external synth, make sure it is checked for recording and it will just work. It sucks, but it will work.

You are better served by inserting something like the Edirol VSC synth, letting it create an audio output track and a midi source track.
- Set the MIDI track to operate on channel 10, (default for percussion), and choose a kit.
- Open the Piano Roll on the MIDI track and paint a click in. Do one bar, make sure the 1st beat has a higher velocity than the subsequent clicks in the bar.
- Copy it, paste it with however many repetitions you need.
- Label it as CLICK, and away ya go.

Alternately, hang ten until Sonar 4 ships with a decent audio metronome.

Q.

Hey Thanks Q!
That really WAS dumber than I thought!
I think it was PA9 that I had trouble with last time I tried. There was some little dance to it. But now it's set up automatically for you!
I just set four clicks, enabled it as a groove clip and spread it out as far as I needed.
Thanks again!
If you're ever in the New England area (U.S.) I'll buy you a beer!

Last edited:
I've found it simpler to make a 1 measure metronome on an audio track, make it a groove clip, and drag it across the song. Much tighter than external MIDI, and much less taxing than using a VSTi. YMMV.

I agree. I was using "Drag and Drop Drummer" for that very purpose. However I was having trouble with that software (D&DD)for a while and needed a quick fix.
Going the audio route seems easier to me too, but having another method in your back pocket certainly has certainly proven to be useful.
I saved a template with Q's suggested method in case I get in a pinch again.

Back