meter changes unexpectedly

Rock Star 87

i am using a SBPCI and an internal synth and i have a huge problem. i put my first measure into 1/4 time and the other 9 into 4/4 time. i had to screw around with some mixer settings so i could record correctly, and everytime i deleted the wave file, it would put the whole song in 1/4 time, which doesn't work with the sheet music i want to print. everytime i fix it, it goes back every time i go back to the track view. pleeeze help. thanks. :)

I know this doesn't solve your tech problem, but why one bar of 1/4? If you're using just one bar of 1/4 and it's the first bar it sounds to me like it's all 4/4 but you have a "pick-up note" on the fourth beat of the first measure.

Rock Star 87 said:
ur right, but pro audio 9 doesn't support pick-ups.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe I am missing something here, but why can't you simply start your midi at the 4th beat of the first measure?

The pickup doesn't have to start on beat one of the sequence. Start playing on beat four or whatever -- just like you would do if you were counting yourself in -- so the song proper starts on beat two... that's the way everyone does this, not by introducing an artificial measure of 1/4.

That silliness aside, I think that when you are deleting the WAV file you have also selected tempos changes, etc. and so the 1/4 time signature goes too.

i make 7.45 an hour. trust me, next big paycheck, i'll save myself the headache. but as four just starting it on the 4th beat, that means that there is 3 open beats at the beginning, unless... nevermind, i am truly a moron.

m yoriginal prob with that was when i converted it to .wav, there were 3 silent beats at the beginning, but know i see the light. start the recording at 1:04:000. as i said, i am truly a moron.

Rock Star 87 said:
m yoriginal prob with that was when i converted it to .wav, there were 3 silent beats at the beginning, but know i see the light. start the recording at 1:04:000. as i said, i am truly a moron.

Or simply trim the beginning of the wave file in a wave editor after you export it.

somebody much more experienced then me once said, "besides mastering and burning, u shouldn't have to touch a song after it's completion", i live by this.

Makes sense if you are talking about the actual recorded music. Makes sense if you don't like taking a razor blade to analog tape.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever if you are talking about silence at the beginning of a song which is totally in the digital world.

Even in your friend's example, a mastering house would perform cuts and fades and stuff in the compilation of these tracks for layout to CD, so the mixed version would be touched anyway.

Q.

Rock Star 87 said:
somebody much more experienced then me once said, "besides mastering and burning, u shouldn't have to touch a song after it's completion", i live by this.

Except that trimming IS part of mastering.

i guess my theory of trimming being part of the mix wouldn't make sense for the overall completion of the album. i only wish i had come to my senses sooner. funny story though, my first album, i used magix hip hop music maker and i did songs with loops and it was really lame and the mixing sucked. the mastering was even worse. i thought that each track should be a different volume as per the feeling of the track. i was such a noob.

Rock Star 87 said:
i thought that each track should be a different volume as per the feeling of the track.

Actually there is a good deal of truth in that. Each song should dictate its own volume to some degree.

However, when listening to the album, you shouldn't want to be reaching for the volume knob everytime a song changes. The transitions from song to song have to be smooth. IOW, the differences in volume shouldn't be so drastic as to be overly noticeable.

Back