Just Got Sonar 3...should I expect trouble?

W.I.S.C.

10lbs.of sh*t in 5lb.BAG
I uploaded it onto my PC and then came here. I wanna know if I'm in for any surprises, the bad ones I mean. Just glancing at all the titles of the threads here is already making me nervous. I would apretiate any and all comments about this software, but mostly I'm looking for the conflicts that people have run across. I have a Pent III and 384 MB of RAM, SoundBlaster LIVE and the M-Audio Quattro. Also, I have Sonar 3 Producer Edition.

If I am being too general, just make fun of me...and be cruel.Thanx a bundle.

w.i.s.c :cool:

All software has problems.... Sonar is no exception. The people who post here either have something strange going on (old drivers, unusual conflict with video card, multiple sound cards etc.) or they are trying to do something unusual... (I am trying to run a loop for 9,000 measures and Sonar won't let me... what is the work around?) So what you see here are people trying to sort something out..... with help from people here, who are a good resource. In general, IMHO, Sonar is a very stable workable piece of software. Is it perfect? No. Will it do EVERYTHING? No. Will it EXACTLY match your ideal work flow? No. But it is pretty darn good and most of the people who come here with problems get help. You aren't hearing from the XX% of people with few or no problems.

Take Care

Sonar 3 rme card audigy platinum

HI All
Just got sonar 3 producer.
First thing is I cant access my Audigy using Asio but sonar sees the RME card fine.
In sonar the asio for the SB card cant be selected but I can see them greyed out.
Any one come accross this?
Cheers
Bob :)

Thanx a bunch rjt...I'm far from a newbie when it comes to the Sonar family. I'll be sure to post any anomolies I come across. Talk to ya later...

384Mb RAM is probably going to be a little light on. S3 is stable.

If you literally just bought it, ie. after the 09/01 announce date for Sonar 4, you will qualify for a freebie upgrade. Call them to arrange it.

Q.

hugry ghost said:
HI All
Just got sonar 3 producer.
First thing is I cant access my Audigy using Asio but sonar sees the RME card fine.
In sonar the asio for the SB card cant be selected but I can see them greyed out.
Any one come accross this?
Cheers
Bob :)

ASIO only supports one device at a time. You would need to deselect the RME card's drivers before the SB card's drivers will become accessible.

Although doing this would be dumb as all SB cards make far better frisbees than sound cards...

:) Q.

the P3

Your Pentium III may be a bit of a problem, too. Not sure the speed of it, but it cannot be too much more than 1 GHtz, eh?

I'm running Sonar 3PE on a P4 3.0 Ghtz, and it screaming fast. I cannot recall the fastest P III production chip, but .... well, the Sonar 3 is almost without incident, but I don't know with our slower computer setup what incidents may arise.

And yes, the less than 512 MB Ram will be tight.

Qwerty said:
ASIO only supports one device at a time. You would need to deselect the RME card's drivers before the SB card's drivers will become accessible.

Although doing this would be dumb as all SB cards make far better frisbees than sound cards...

:) Q.

Hi
Man that SB card has given me nothing but grief!!
One frisbe for ebay!!!
I only need the card for playback as I multitrack the rest.
Any recomendations?
Cheers
Bob :eek:

hugry ghost said:
Hi
Man that SB card has given me nothing but grief!!
One frisbe for ebay!!!
I only need the card for playback as I multitrack the rest.
Any recomendations?
Cheers
Bob :eek:

Why can't you use the RME for playback?? :confused:

Most people who keep their SB use it for midi only. However, with the advent of soft synths, I'm not sure I'd even do that.

Back